bilisa

Default set up as a letter merge???

Hi

When I merge the main document with data records in an Excel sheet and send
the results to the printer I get this error:

"Run-time error '5661':

You cannot send a catalog created by merging documents directly to mail, fax
or printer."

How do set up merge as a letter merge rather than a catalog merge?

Please help me, im a newbie..

Peter Jamieson

In Word 2000 or earlier, click on the MailMergeHelper icon in the Mailmerge
toolbar (it's typically to the right of the | button) and select the merge
type using the first button in the dialog box.

In Word 2002 or 2003, either restart the Mail Merge Wizard and select the
document type in the first pane, or use e.g. Tools|Customize to enable the
mailmerge toolbar, click the first button and select the letters option.

"bilisa" wrote in message
Hi

When I merge the main document with data records in an Excel sheet and
send
the results to the printer I get this error:

"Run-time error '5661':

You cannot send a catalog created by merging documents directly to mail,
fax
or printer."

How do set up merge as a letter merge rather than a catalog merge?

Please help me, im a newbie..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
John Divaro John Divaro is offline

Hi Peter,

i am trying to merge my letters to my clients from my contact list on excel.
when i try to do the actual merge i want the document to say Dear (customer
i.e. John Smith). when i do the merge it doesnt merge the names it still is
left bank with my word document having no contact name.

"bilisa" wrote in message
Hi

When I merge the main document with data records in an Excel sheet and
send
the results to the printer I get this error:

"Run-time error '5661':

You cannot send a catalog created by merging documents directly to mail,
fax
or printer."

How do set up merge as a letter merge rather than a catalog merge?

Please help me, im a newbie..

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Do you have a merge field after the Dear?

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP