Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NetPomme NetPomme is offline

Default Can Word centre tabs on a colon ":" instead of a decimal point?

Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any ideas?
Thank you.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Linke Klaus Linke is offline

"NetPomme" wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would
use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any
ideas?
Thank you.

Have you tried the decimal tab? It aligns your numbers fine for me...

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
NetPomme NetPomme is offline

Thank you Klaus it works. I never thought to try it. I think this is the
silly question for the day.
Thank you again.

"Klaus Linke" wrote:

"NetPomme" wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would
use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any
ideas?
Thank you.

Have you tried the decimal tab? It aligns your numbers fine for me...

Greetings,
Klaus

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

If you always have exactly two digits after the colon, you can simply
use a right tab.

(You can choose the character to align on with the "decimal" tab in
FrameMaker. Maybe someday Word will be able to do that.)

On Nov 24, 11:22*pm, NetPomme
wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would use
a decimal point. For example:

* * * * * * 15:16
* * * * * 100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any ideas?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

FWIW as far as I can see, when you have a decimal tab, Word aligns on the
first non-digit character, e.g.

5.6
45,6
345:67
2345x6789
12345 67890

will all be aligned on the "5" (though of course the stuff from 6 onwards
will probably not be aligned because the widths of ".",",",":", "x"," " may
differ)

(I guess you need something pretty general to have a reasonably good chance
of dealing with differences in regional settings anyway - what if you use
decimal tabs "1234.56" on a machine set up for US Windows, then open it on a
machine set up with French settings, for example?)

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

--
Peter Jamieson
http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would
use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any
ideas?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

It aligns on the first non-digit character other than the thousands
separator (though you might confuse it with the comma in your second
example). This is based on whatever the thousands separator is on a given
system, so yes, it could perhaps give unpredictable results "in
translation."

wrote:
Hi there
I need to align numbers based upon a colon ":" in the same way you would
use
a decimal point. For example:

15:16
100:56

I was trying to use Tabs but can't think how to do it... anyone got any
ideas?
Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Thanks, Suzanne.