Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne at Duke

Default How do I avoid section numbers in headers created w/ StyleRef?

I'm helping format a book with chapters, sections, and footnotes. The
publisher has given us a template that should make this easy, but my section
headers (created automatically using StyleRef) won't display without the
section number. I've tried to change the section number from the defined
heading style to Normal but it won't take the command. I've spent way too
much time (hours) for what should be an easy fix. Any suggestions? Anne
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

You must be numbering the headings manually, then, as autonumbering does not
appear in a StyleRef field; in fact, you have to specifically add a separate
StyleRef field for the paragraph number in order to get it to show. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"Anne at Duke" wrote in message
I'm helping format a book with chapters, sections, and footnotes. The
publisher has given us a template that should make this easy, but my

section
headers (created automatically using StyleRef) won't display without the
section number. I've tried to change the section number from the defined
heading style to Normal but it won't take the command. I've spent way too
much time (hours) for what should be an easy fix. Any suggestions? Anne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Anne at Duke

Oh, my heavens! That is exactly the fix! If you were here Suzanne, I would
hug your neck. Thank you, thank you, thank you. I thank you, the author
thanks you, the Duke Divinity School thanks you.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must be numbering the headings manually, then, as autonumbering does not
appear in a StyleRef field; in fact, you have to specifically add a separate
StyleRef field for the paragraph number in order to get it to show. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

"Anne at Duke" wrote in message
I'm helping format a book with chapters, sections, and footnotes. The
publisher has given us a template that should make this easy, but my

section
headers (created automatically using StyleRef) won't display without the
section number. I've tried to change the section number from the defined
heading style to Normal but it won't take the command. I've spent way too
much time (hours) for what should be an easy fix. Any suggestions? Anne

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Glad I could help. One of my favorite people is a student at (or graduate
of, I've lost track) Duke Divinity School (my daughter's best friend's
husband, Matt Schlimm).

news

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You must be numbering the headings manually, then, as autonumbering does

not
appear in a StyleRef field; in fact, you have to specifically add a

separate
StyleRef field for the paragraph number in order to get it to show. See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html

newsgroup so
all may benefit.