Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark[_2_] Clark[_2_] is offline

Default How do I migrate Word 2003 personal styles to Word 2007 Style Set.

I would like our company styles from Word 2003 to be migrated to Word 2007.
Ideally we could put our styles in the quick style area of the ribbon and
delete the default ones. So far I find no way to do this. You can apparently
add one style at a time manually.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

If you want to create a new set of Quick Styles then you need to add the
Style to the Quick Style gallery. To do so, on the Styles task pane,
right-click the style and then click "Add to Quick Style Gallery". For those
you want to remove, right-click the Quick Style in the gallery and then
click "Remove from Quick Style Gallery."

You should also click Manage Styles at the bottom of the Styles task pane
and on the Recommended tab, set the sort order for the styles, and then on
the Defaults tab, set the defaults for your Quick Style Set.

Once you have added your Quick Styles to the Quick Style gallery, set your
recommended order and set your Defaults, then click Change Styles and on the
Style Set menu, click Save As Quick Style Set.

To make your Style Set the default, click Change Styles and then click Set
as Default.

Note you don't need to save your custom Quick Style Set in order to set a
default, but it makes managing your Quick Style Set easier and if a style is
modified in a document you can Reset the Quick Styles to the saved set. For
the latter, this command is listed at the bottom of the Style Set menu.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

Co-author of Word 2007 Inside Out:

Word FAQ: http://mvps.org/word
MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Clark" wrote in message
I would like our company styles from Word 2003 to be migrated to Word 2007.
Ideally we could put our styles in the quick style area of the ribbon and
delete the default ones. So far I find no way to do this. You can
apparently
add one style at a time manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Clark[_2_] Clark[_2_] is offline

Default How do I migrate Word 2003 personal styles to Word 2007 Style

Thanks Beth, this is helpful for small projects that have only a dozen styles
for example. I did get one .dot converted in this way. But what about our
corporate styles that number near 100. Is there no way to import these
easily? I can't see right clicking on all those!

It would be ideal if one could convert the old template with the corporate
styles and then somehow remove the entire Quick styles in the ribbon; or add
them all at once somehow, although that would probably be unusable with so
many little boxes to pull down.

Thanks, Clark

"Clark" wrote in message
I would like our company styles from Word 2003 to be migrated to Word 2007.
Ideally we could put our styles in the quick style area of the ribbon and
delete the default ones. So far I find no way to do this. You can
apparently
add one style at a time manually.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

You could use a macro to do this, fairly easy to do if those you want to add
aren't the built-in styles, but if you have almost 100 styles then I'm not
sure you want all of them to display in the Quick Style gallery. I added
around 150 styles to the Quick Style gallery just to see what it would look
like and it's a lot of styles to attempt to sort through. Also, if any of
the styles you want to add are List or Table styles then they can't appear
in the list.

Ideally, the Quick Style gallery should hold only the most frequently used
styles so they are easily accessible. If I were you I would add only those
that are frequently used to the Quick Style gallery. Then I'd add the old
Style combo box to the Quick Access Toolbar to make accessing those styles
that aren't as frequently used easy to get to without the need to show the
Styles task pane.

To add the old Styles combo box:
- Right-click the Quick Access Toolbar and then click Customize Quick Access
Toolbar
- From the Customize Quick Access Toolbar list, select your template (note
the list of commands currently on the toolbar will disappear)
- From the Choose Commands From list, select Commands Not In The Ribbon
- Locate Style and add it to the Quick Access Toolbar for the template

When a document based on your template is created or opened then the Styles
list will merge with the commands on the Quick Access Toolbar.

I'd also take the time to use the Manage Styles dialog box, found at the
bottom of the Styles task pane, hide those styles you do not use and set the
Recommended order. Note that on the Restrict tab you can prevent Quick Style
Set switching and block Themes. Then for the display options, click the
Options link in the Styles task pane and set the display accordingly. Such
as show only your recommended styles and sort them alphabetically.

It might take a bit to sort through the styles and determine which are
frequently used and which ones aren't but in the long haul, your corporate
styles should be easier to access and apply.