Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jayawanth Jayawanth is offline

Default Cross reference "style"?

I have a large number of cross references in my document. I would like to
give a common format for all of them say "Chap Name Section Name 2.1.3 p 32"
Currently I need to insert a cross reference several times for each such
reference. Is there a way to define this style and use it to update all cross
references in the document or atleast insert new cross references based on
this structure?
Thank you
Jayawanth
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

No, since each cross-reference refers to a *particular* bookmarked item (its
text or paragraph number), this won't be possible. However, you could ask in
a programming newsgroup if someone knows a macro solution.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jayawanth" wrote:

I have a large number of cross references in my document. I would like to
give a common format for all of them say "Chap Name Section Name 2.1.3 p 32"
Currently I need to insert a cross reference several times for each such
reference. Is there a way to define this style and use it to update all cross
references in the document or atleast insert new cross references based on
this structure?
Thank you
Jayawanth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
jake jake is offline

NO need to make a Unique style for cross-references to update then at once,
in fact its better to leave them styled with "normal"
NOW: how to update them all,, press CTL+A (that selects all your document)
then press F9 to updatre ALL fields that need updating (including Indeces,
Content tables, Figure or formulae captions and cross-references)

"Jayawanth" wrote:

I have a large number of cross references in my document. I would like to
give a common format for all of them say "Chap Name Section Name 2.1.3 p 32"
Currently I need to insert a cross reference several times for each such
reference. Is there a way to define this style and use it to update all cross
references in the document or atleast insert new cross references based on
this structure?
Thank you
Jayawanth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

But note that the original poster was actually asking for a way to
simultaneously insert a single "complex" cross-reference including heading
text, heading number, and page number (which in Word would require three
cross-reference fields).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Jayawanth" wrote:

I have a large number of cross references in my document. I would like
give a common format for all of them say "Chap Name Section Name 2.1.3
p 32"
Currently I need to insert a cross reference several times for each
such
reference. Is there a way to define this style and use it to update all
cross
references in the document or atleast insert new cross references based
on
this structure?
Thank you
Jayawanth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jayawanth Jayawanth is offline

Correct. I was looking for a template with name, number and page and use this
repeatedly whenever I insert a cross reference. Currently there are several
invocations of the XRef dialog box, several clicks - since the the selection
is lost and the multiple insertions happen one next to each other which I
need to space it out.

"Jayawanth" wrote:

I have a large number of cross references in my document. I would like
give a common format for all of them say "Chap Name Section Name 2.1.3
p 32"
Currently I need to insert a cross reference several times for each
such
reference. Is there a way to define this style and use it to update all
cross
references in the document or atleast insert new cross references based
on
this structure?
Thank you
Jayawanth

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Are you aware that you can insert multiple cross-references (to the same
item) without closing the dialog box between insertions? That might help a
bit.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP