TechWriter

Default Suggestions regarding compatability of OpenOffice and MS Word

Hello all,

I had installed OpenOffice Writer on my PC, but uninstalled it because
I thought there might be some compatability problems between Ms Word
and OpenOffice. I did that because I was having problems with headers
and footers of an important document after installing, though I found
out later that it was something basic I had overlooked. So, will I face
such problems, because the general perception is that they are
compatible?

Any specific 'beware' suggestions before I reinstall it?Though I would
like to tell you that I donot have Java RunTime on my PC, so I suppose
I won't get all features of OpenOfficd(that's what the install program
said while I was installing)

Thanx for your help.