Mary Lee

Default Cross Referencing Headings

I am using Word 2002. In a manual, I have numbered headings for the chapters
and unnumbered headings for the Appendix. The Appendix includes drawings and
is quite lengthy. I need to refer to these drawings in the manual text, but
only the numbered headings show up on the list, even though my unnumbered
headings show up in the document map properly and when I run the TOC. Is
there something I am missing in the way I set up my heading styles to get
them to show up on the cross-reference list?
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee
Daiya Mitchell

In the Cross-Reference dialog, there is a dropdown for Reference Type, which
you may need to switch from "numbered item" to "headings".

If that doesn't work, how did you set up the unnumbered headings?

On 8/25/05 10:18 AM, "Mary Lee" wrote:

I am using Word 2002. In a manual, I have numbered headings for the chapters
and unnumbered headings for the Appendix. The Appendix includes drawings and
is quite lengthy. I need to refer to these drawings in the manual text, but
only the numbered headings show up on the list, even though my unnumbered
headings show up in the document map properly and when I run the TOC. Is
there something I am missing in the way I set up my heading styles to get
them to show up on the cross-reference list?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Mary Lee

Yes, Daiya, it is the dropdown for Reference Type that I am talking about -
all of my numbered headings show up there, but not my unnumbered ones.

Both the numbered and unnumbered styles are set up in my template, and I
can't think of or find any style settings that would control whether or not a
style shows up in the Cross-Reference dropdown headings list.

I am hoping that I do not have to leave this one area to manual revisions
when pages are added or removed from the document.
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

In the Cross-Reference dialog, there is a dropdown for Reference Type, which
you may need to switch from "numbered item" to "headings".

If that doesn't work, how did you set up the unnumbered headings?

On 8/25/05 10:18 AM, "Mary Lee" wrote:

I am using Word 2002. In a manual, I have numbered headings for the chapters
and unnumbered headings for the Appendix. The Appendix includes drawings and
is quite lengthy. I need to refer to these drawings in the manual text, but
only the numbered headings show up on the list, even though my unnumbered
headings show up in the document map properly and when I run the TOC. Is
there something I am missing in the way I set up my heading styles to get
them to show up on the cross-reference list?

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word
Word FAQ: http://www.word.mvps.org/

Daiya Mitchell

Are the headings that don't show up using the built-in heading styles 1-9 or
are they custom heading styles created from scratch?

If you need to refer to drawings, are you trying to cross-reference the
caption, or what? Was the caption created by using Insert | Caption?

It's still not clear to me exactly what your setup is.

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

In the Cross-Reference dialog, there is a dropdown for Reference Type, which
you may need to switch from "numbered item" to "headings".

If that doesn't work, how did you set up the unnumbered headings?

On 8/25/05 10:18 AM, "Mary Lee" wrote:

I am using Word 2002. In a manual, I have numbered headings for the chapters
and unnumbered headings for the Appendix. The Appendix includes drawings and
is quite lengthy. I need to refer to these drawings in the manual text, but
only the numbered headings show up on the list, even though my unnumbered
headings show up in the document map properly and when I run the TOC. Is
there something I am missing in the way I set up my heading styles to get
them to show up on the cross-reference list?

Mary Lee

Yes, the headings that don't show up are custom heading styles created from
scratch. No, I am not cross-referencing captions - I thought I might try
that, but captions are not on the drop down list, either.

Will cross-referencing only pick up on the built-in heading styles?
--
Thanks!
Mary Lee

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

In the Cross-Reference dialog, there is a dropdown for Reference Type, which
you may need to switch from "numbered item" to "headings".

If that doesn't work, how did you set up the unnumbered headings?

On 8/25/05 10:18 AM, "Mary Lee" wrote:

I am using Word 2002. In a manual, I have numbered headings for the chapters
and unnumbered headings for the Appendix. The Appendix includes drawings and
is quite lengthy. I need to refer to these drawings in the manual text, but
only the numbered headings show up on the list, even though my unnumbered
headings show up in the document map properly and when I run the TOC. Is
there something I am missing in the way I set up my heading styles to get
them to show up on the cross-reference list?

Custom headings won't show up unless (a) they are autonumbered (in which
case they'll be listed as "Numbered items") or (b) you have bookmarked them
(in which case they'll be listed under "Bookmarks"). See
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...ingStyles.html

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

[...]

Daiya Mitchell

Or you could also use Captions, as long as you create them via Insert |
Caption--but the captions feature gives you the choice of using Table 1 or
Figure 2, etc, or a custom label, and those labels are the options that show
up in the Cross-reference dialog, rather than plain "caption", which is why
it seems like caption isn't listed.

"Mary Lee" wrote in message
Yes, the headings that don't show up are custom heading styles created

from
scratch. No, I am not cross-referencing captions - I thought I might try
that, but captions are not on the drop down list, either.

Will cross-referencing only pick up on the built-in heading styles?

Mary Lee

See, now? This is why I love you guys! You always end up showing me
something I had not seen before.
--
Thanks again, ever so much!
Mary Lee