Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
fortescue

Default tilde over the letter m and the s that looks like f

How do I put a tilde over the letter m? It appears in the word comande as
used by Thomas (Fortescue) Clermont representing a letter of Sir Faithful
Fortescue in Clermont's book A History of the Family of Fortescue in All its
Branches (1880).

Also how do I type the s that looks like an f that Clermont used throughout
his work?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

You can superimpose any two glyphs using an EQ field: { EQ \o (~,m) }.
You'll need to raise the tilde a few points (Format Font Character
spacing) to get it to look right.

Google will find you a number of fonts you can download that contain the
long-s. Most glorious is Cardo (http://scholarsfonts.net/cardofnt.html),
produced by the Medieval Unicode Font Initiative.

"fortescue" wrote in message
How do I put a tilde over the letter m? It appears in the word comande as
used by Thomas (Fortescue) Clermont representing a letter of Sir Faithful
Fortescue in Clermont's book A History of the Family of Fortescue in All
its
Branches (1880).

Also how do I type the s that looks like an f that Clermont used
throughout
his work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

The "s" you are referring to is often called the long s. Itis available as
017F (Unicode). You will find it in Inssert, Symbols. You will probably
have a hard time scrolling through to find it. Instead of scrolling just
type in 017F and it should appear. You can use a hot key or other shortcuts
if you plan to use it a lot. No idea about the M, though.

"fortescue" wrote in message news:
How do I put a tilde over the letter m? It appears in the word comande as
used by Thomas (Fortescue) Clermont representing a letter of Sir Faithful
Fortescue in Clermont's book A History of the Family of Fortescue in All
its
Branches (1880).

Also how do I type the s that looks like an f that Clermont used
throughout
his work?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can also look in the Latin Extended-A character subset. But I have to
say that the character thus produced does not look at all like a long S, at
least not in any of the fonts I've looked at.