megamble2

Default Modifying Default Settings

I want to change some of the default settings in Word. Can someone tell me
how to do that? In particular, I want all of my heading styles to be
formatted that same for everyone of my documents without having to format
them each time I start a new document.
Thanks!
Jonathan West

"megamble2" wrote in message
I want to change some of the default settings in Word. Can someone tell me
how to do that? In particular, I want all of my heading styles to be
formatted that same for everyone of my documents without having to format
them each time I start a new document.
Thanks!

Take a look at these articles

Creating a Template €“ The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP

Charles Kenyon

Create a document template with your styles and use that for your new
documents. If your heading styles contain numbering, see: How to create
numbered headings or outline numbering in your Word document
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html.

In creating your templates, review the web pages that Jonathan West already
provided. They are excellent.

And yes, you _could_ save your heading style modifications in normal.dot,
but I wouldn't, if they contain numbering. They'll bite you when you aren't
looking. To do that, you modify the style and check the "Add to template"
box. I have modified my heading styles in normal.dot that way, to make them
cascading, but mine are not numbered.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"megamble2" wrote in message
I want to change some of the default settings in Word. Can someone tell me
how to do that? In particular, I want all of my heading styles to be
formatted that same for everyone of my documents without having to format
them each time I start a new document.
Thanks!

megamble2

Thank you that was extremely helpful. What if I want an old document created
in normal.dot to have the settings and formatting established in my new
template? Is it as simple as cutting and pasting? Or can I resave the
document under the new template?

"Jonathan West" wrote:

"megamble2" wrote in message
I want to change some of the default settings in Word. Can someone tell me
how to do that? In particular, I want all of my heading styles to be
formatted that same for everyone of my documents without having to format
them each time I start a new document.
Thanks!

Take a look at these articles

Creating a Template €“ The Basics (Part I)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart1.htm

Creating a Template (Part II)
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Customizat...platePart2.htm

--
Regards
Jonathan West - Word MVP
www.intelligentdocuments.co.uk
Please reply to the newsgroup

Jonathan West

"megamble2" wrote in message
Thank you that was extremely helpful. What if I want an old document
created
in normal.dot to have the settings and formatting established in my new
template? Is it as simple as cutting and pasting? Or can I resave the
document under the new template?

That depends on your old document.

If your old document was formatted by you changing the definition of the
styles, then a simple copy & paste may be sufficient.

If you used manual font formatting in addition to the styles, then you may
need to copy & paste and then select the text and press Ctrl-Space to remove
the manual font formatting.

if you didn't use types at all, then you will probably have to go through
paragraph by paragraph applying the new styles. If you find you have to to
that regularly, either with your old documents or with documents sent to you
by others, then the following article may help you.

Creating Custom Toolbars for Templates