Praful

Default How to store history of changes in a document.

I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that changes a
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not even in the
property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help will be appreciated.
GS
Charles Kenyon

Turn on track changes (with no display of changes) and include a password.
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Praful" wrote in message
I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that changes
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not even in the
property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help will be appreciated.
GS

Praful

Hello Charles,
Thanks for your suggestion but i have to store the customized information
using an add-in in each document for later use. So please suggest me a
solution.
I also want that the information should not be lost after quitting from the
document. ALso it should not be visible to the USER because it is related to
the corporate security.
GS

"Praful" wrote in message
I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that changes
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not even in the
property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help will be appreciated.
GS

Jay Freedman

Please be aware that the functionality you want is not built into Word, and
is not something that can be provided quickly and easily.

You haven't given any hint of what kind of information you want to store, so
that makes recommendations much more difficult. However, you probably want a
"document control system" or "document management system". Use Google or
another search engine to look for those terms, including the quote marks,
and you'll find a large number of commercial solutions. Until you can
specify what information you need to store, though, you'll have a hard time
selecting one.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Praful" wrote in message
I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that
changes a
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not even
in the property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help will be
appreciated. GS

Satin

Yes Jay .. you are close!! that i want to built a "document classification
system" for corporate. I need to store information about the change in the
type of classification for the document and who changes the classification in
the whole life cycle of the document. I donnt to go for any commertial
solution,but want to develop my own. Just need to know what api's word
exposes to store information that can be hidden from a "general user".i want
to give a UI (thru addin) for the user to look up the history of changes to
classification.
any help is welcome :-)
Satin

"Praful" wrote in message
I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that
changes a
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not even
in the property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help will be
appreciated. GS

Jay Freedman

OK, in that case you need to study the Word VBA help topics about the
Variables collection (where you can store any strings you want, which will
be stored in the file but will not be visible in the document) and Userforms
(which you can use to build your UI). There is also information about
Userforms on the word.mvps.org web site listed in my signature.

If you plan to write your addin as a separate application in Visual Basic or
one of the .NET languages, you'll still use the Word object model described
in the VBA help.

If you have further questions about this stuff after reading, please post
them in the microsoft.public.word.vba.beginners newsgroup.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

"Charles Kenyon" wrote:

Turn on track changes (with no display of changes) and include a
password. --

Charles Kenyon

Intermediate User's Guide to Microsoft Word (supplemented version
of Microsoft's Legal Users' Guide) http://addbalance.com/usersguide

"Praful" wrote in message
I want to built a addin to store the information of each user that
changes a
document. I want this property to be hidden from the user (not
even in the property tab).I am in a critical situation .. Help
will be appreciated. GS

Satin

Thanks JAY..

Thats what i have discovered !!
Keep posting answers for newbies in Office development like me....
Will post any further queries in relevent section in future..
satin