Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jewel Style Jewel Style is offline

Default Word 2007: how do I customize sort order of Quick Styles gallery?

If I alphabetize using the Styles window Options or Manage Style functions my
Styles window list follows those commands but the Quick Styles gallery
remains sorted in Recommended order. Thanks!
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

The Styles List & the QuickStyles Gallery are separate & independent
mechanisms. I don't know of any way to have the Gallery organized
differently than by its default groupings.

Happy Holidays |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/25/08 1:29 PM, in article
, "Jewel Style" Jewel
wrote:

If I alphabetize using the Styles window Options or Manage Style functions my
Styles window list follows those commands but the Quick Styles gallery
remains sorted in Recommended order. Thanks!

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

The sort order of styles displayed in the Quick Style gallery is determined
by the priority value assigned to the style. The priority value of the styles
is set in the Recommend tab of the Manage Styles dialog box

Therefore, to change the sort order in the gallery, change the priority
value of the style. Styles with the same priority value will be displayed in
alphabetical order.

"Jewel Style" wrote

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
CyberTaz CyberTaz is offline

Good Point!

I found that later but it still amounts to a PITA relative to what the
poster actually asked for - there is no simple "Sort A-Z" button :-)

The styles remain grouped based on the assigned value & are arranged alpha
within each group. To get the Gallery in pure alpha order every style would
have to be assigned the same value, right? And if I read it right the bottom
option for "All documents based on this template" would also have to be
selected for the order to hold the setting.

Regards |:)
Bob Jones
[MVP] Office:Mac

On 12/26/08 8:41 AM, in article
, "Aeneas"
wrote:

The sort order of styles displayed in the Quick Style gallery is determined
by the priority value assigned to the style. The priority value of the styles
is set in the Recommend tab of the Manage Styles dialog box

Therefore, to change the sort order in the gallery, change the priority
value of the style. Styles with the same priority value will be displayed in
alphabetical order.

"Jewel Style" wrote

Community Message Not Available

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Aeneas Aeneas is offline

Default Word 2007: how do I customize sort order of Quick Styles galle

To get the Gallery in pure alpha order every style would
have to be assigned the same value, right?

Unfortunately, you're right. This wreaks havoc with the Styles task pane,
Apply Styles task pane and the classic style gallery when only recommended
styles are selected for display and the sort order is set to As Recommended.
in the Style Pane Options dialog box.

And if I read it right the bottom
option for "All documents based on this template" would also have to be
selected for the order to hold the setting.

Yes, it does hold the settings for new document.

Despite these limitations, I find that I am using the Quick Style gallery
far more frequently, especially given its easy access from the Mini Toolbar.

Happy Holidays!

Aeneas