Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default toolbar button icons vs. text

I found myself using Insert Cross Reference, Change Case,* and Insert
Caption a lot, so I added them to a toolbar. But all of those commands
happen to not have icons assigned to them, so I made icons for them.
The trouble is that it doesn't seem possible to completely delete the
text from the toolbar button, leaving only my new icon. I edited the
text to "." in each one, but still, the three periods (one in each
button) take up enough space that another button could be visible on
the toolbar; can I remove the text entirely? (Word2003)

tips:
*The Change Case command is a lot more convenient than the Aaa button
on the default toolbar, since clicking on it cycles through Initial,
FULL, and no caps without having to open the window and choose the
option each time.

Similarly, I changed the Print command on the toolbar from the default
one that just sends to the printer whatever's open, to the other one
(with the very same icon, curiously) that doesn't bypass everything
but rather opens the Print dialog box like Ctrl-P.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

In Tools | Customize, right-click on the button and choose "Default style,"
which is icon only for toolbars, icon and text for menus.

FWIW, I wish I'd thought to add a button (or a keyboard shortcut) for Insert
| Reference | Cross-reference while I was working on the 600-page tome I'm
currently finishing up!

"grammatim" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Aargh! As a 15-year Mac user, it rarely occurs to me to right-click.

They don't seem to provide a list of all the commands you can put onto
toolbars -- you just have to scroll through all the lists looking for
something whose name might correspond to what you want to do.

Thanks!

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Does MacWord not include an All Commands category in Tools | Customize?
Also, if you want to choose among existing button faces for new buttons
(instead of designing your own), see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/...uttonFaces.htm. The table you can
download from this page is quite old, so it doesn't include all the buttons
that have been added to more recent versions, but it does offer a wide
variety from all the Office apps.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On Dec 27, 5:34*pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Does MacWord not include an All Commands category in Tools | Customize?

Probably, but for anything sophisticated or elaborate, I used
FrameMaker. Unfortunately Adobe bought out FrameMaker for the purpose
of destroying it and in their latest release (7.2 for Windows), still
didn't enable Unicode use. (The alleged competitor that they came up
with, InDesign, can't hold a candle to FrameMaker in terms of
complicated book construction problems. BTW in FrameMaker I could have
done my two-level numbering with different hanging indents and with
compound cross-reference symbols with no difficulty at all.)

Also, if you want to choose among existing button faces for new buttons
(instead of designing your own), seehttp://word.mvps.org/FAQs/MacrosVBA/CustomButtonFaces.htm. The table you can
download from this page is quite old, so it doesn't include all the buttons
that have been added to more recent versions, but it does offer a wide
variety from all the Office apps.

I could send you my three button faces, if I knew how to send a button
icon ...

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I think the last time someone sent me button faces, it was in a template.

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

They must be in my normal.dot, since they show up in other
documents ... if you want it, just ask! (And, because I'm in google
groups, tell me your email address before the at.) (It also has some
of my special keystrokes for accented letters, but I haven't put them
all into this new copy because I haven't needed most of them yet.)
(Oh, and I rearranged the regular toolbars for convenience and
economy.)