Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Default Lost document!

I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing work
on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the file which
is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I received it and
all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

See http://www.gmayor.com/outlook_attachments.htm.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing work
on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the file which
is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I received it
and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

Thanks.

Problem is there is no OLK44 in the Temporray Internet Files folder!

Now, what?

JB

"Stefan Blom" escreveu na mensagem

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the file
which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

The file might be lost. Or since you aren't using Outlook, but Outlook
Express, it might also be in a different folder.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

I think there's no question the document is a lost cause--a painful lesson
that one should never open an attachment directly and edit it.

http://word.mvps.org

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Yes, I (finally) noticed the other posts by the OP and Terry.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

For future reference, what is the folder that I should look for in Outlook
Express, if it is not OLK44?

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

There is no specific folder, and your chances of finding it are slim to
none, anyway.

http://word.mvps.org

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

Always save the document to your local HDD documents folder before editing.

The document in question will be somewhere in your Internet Temporary files:
there's an awful lot of them. So use Windows Search, narrow the search to
the Internet Temp folders and search for *.doc. But did you not try 'Recent
Documents' in Word?

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the file
which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
JB[_3_] JB[_3_] is offline

The problem id the ie5 folder is apparently empty. I wonder if I have IE
configured to empty it every time I restart. I guess if that is the case the
file has gone forever!

JB

"Terry Farrell" escreveu na mensagem

"JB" wrote in message
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot of reviewing
work on it, saving it several times. I restarted the computer and the
file which is still as an attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I
received it and all the editing and marking has gone!

Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Twayne[_2_] Twayne[_2_] is offline

In ,
JB typed:
I received a word doc by email, opened and id quite a lot
of reviewing work on it, saving it several times. I
restarted the computer and the file which is still as an
attachment in Outlook Express is exactly as I received it
and all the editing and marking has gone!
Where can the file be?

Word 2003 Professional

Help!!!

JB

Always test things you haven't done before, especially if you're going to
put much effort into them. Your edited file is somewhere in a temporary
file. What you should have done is saved the attachment to disk, edited
that, and use it to send back or print or whatever.
So, now that you've discovered you shouldn't edit a file without it being
saved to your hard drive with a name you know, just consider it as a good
lesson learned and move on.
A search for words in the file might recover the right temp file for you,
but there may be several of them, so watch out what you end up trying to
save.

HTH,

Twayne`
Life is the only real counselor; wisdom unfiltered
through personal experience does not become a
part of the moral tissue.