Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Code Doctor

Default How do I format text, like Medicare number

I have in Excel a text field that contains unformated Medicare numbers, ie
123456789A. In a mail merge, using that field, I want the display to look
like 123-45-6789A.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

You are not going to be able to format the field in Word while the 'A' is
present in the number. Create a new column in the Excel table and separate
the number from the letter, then you can combine the fields to produce the
layout eg
{MergeField MediNumber \# "000'-'00'-'0000"}{Mergefield Suffix}

See http://www.gmayor.com/formatting_word_fields.htm

Code Doctor wrote:
I have in Excel a text field that contains unformatted Medicare
numbers, ie 123456789A. In a mail merge, using that field, I want the
display to look like 123-45-6789A.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

But that may not work in your case because of the alpha-numeric data in
Excel.

As a result, you may have to insert the hyphens into the data in Excel,
which can be done by use of a formula

Left(cellreference, 3)&"-"&Mid(cellreference, 4, 2)&"-"&Right(cellreference,
5)

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.