Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
th bean

Default Includepicture works - with errors

Hi
I use Rational Soda to generate functional specs with included images.
Rational Soda and Word interact OK together. The problem I get is two-fold
and relates to "includepicture" command.

1. The images are only able to be seen if the person reading the doc has the
same drive mappings. To correct this I have to manually remove the link by -
Ctrl - shift - F9.
2. The mailmerge template defines the image size as (say) 5 cm high by 10 cm
wide. The included images are invariably not this size so Word scales them
until both dimensions fit within the template image dimensions, ie if the
first required image is 25cm by 20 cm it will shrink the image by 80% so that
the height matches the 5cm while the width is now 2cm, if the second image is
1cm by 2 cm it scales to 500% of its original size.

Is there some other command to insert a piccy without having it link to the
image - ie force word to insert a file? and....

Stop word from resizing the image to suit the template and to force Word to
include the original image (I will edit the image if it is too large).

Thanks in advance
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Using INCLUDEPICTURE, I suspect the only sensible way to solve these
problems will be to merge to a new document and run some VBA that
a. unlinks the INCLUDEPICTURE fields (i.e. does what you're doing with
ctrl-shift-F9
b. examines all the graphic objects inserted using INCLUDEPICTURE and
adjusts their width and height to be 100% of the original where they are
currently 100%, and leaves them if they are 100%. Or something along
those lines.

I don't have code for that.

If you are including images that are fairly static - i.e. the set of images
does not change much each time you merge, and you are willing to modify your
set of images pre-merge, you could consider putting all the images you need
into another Word document, adjusting their sizes, and bookmarking each one
as imagen (image1, image2,...) so that you can include them using a nested
INCLUDETEXT, e.g. something like

{ INCLUDETEXT "c:\\myimages\\myimages.doc" "image{ MERGEFIELD imageno }" }

I haven't tried it but that would probably be my starting point. Useless of
course if Ratinal Soda is dynamically maintaining/exporting images as your
specs. change.

Just my 2c-worth,

Peter Jamieson

"th bean" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
th bean

Thanks Peter
A cunning solution and yes, I can do that.

Although it is not a pretty solution, because of the limitation of the
includepicture command, it is the only one I can see will work. The images
are static but there are a lot of them..... c'est la vie.

Again, thanks heaps