Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Saga Saga is offline

Default A table in the document has become corrupted...

I was editing a Word doc of roughly 480KB, with images inside tables, using Word
2002 (XP) under Win XP SP2 when I got this message:

A table in the document has become corrupted. To recover the contents of the table:
select the table and choose Convert Table To Text from the Table menu.

I have never seen this message before and was not doing anything extraordinary
with Word, so I stopped my editing and browsed through the document, starting at
the first page. There is a table there (page 1/14) and this looked fine. I paged
down and found Fig 1 ok also. It was when I got to page 5 where fig. 2 is located
that I saw nothing of the table or the image that was inside of it. As I paged down
further I found that all my tables had disappeared, so to speak. Some tables had
the "fig. x" caption, some did not have any caption al all.

I tried selecting the "invisible" table, but was not able to do so. I finally and sporadically
was able to select an image. I then tried to manipulate it, but would often get Word
in an unresponsive mode (not responding message in title bar) to a point where I had
to use Task Manager to terminate the process. I then did a little research and found
these pages:

http://word.mvps.org/faqs/apperrors/corruptdoc.htm
http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=536

I tried some of the recommendations listed therein, but was not successful in
accomplishing anything useful. I have a backup file from yesterday's work, but I made
so many changes here and there that it will be a tedious task to locate the differences
between both documents (a task that I see as inevitable).

The doc file does not have macros or anything out of the ordinary, just text, tables
and some images inside the tables. I mostly am using Times New Roman font at 12
points and in some places Arial at 10 points. It also contains a few links.

My PC has 1GB RAM, with 510MB free according to the Performance tab in Task Manager.
My hard drive has a capacity of 20GB (not a new PC) with 4GB free space.
My files are stored in a flash drive, 512MB cap., 430MB free. I have been using this
device for about a year (or more) without any problems.
I had a second document open when I started to get the message listed above, but the
second file was not corrupted at all. I am able to open it without any problems.
My Win XP had updates today and I started to get the message with the "Restart now"
and "Restart later" buttons. My problems started a short time after that.
I created a new doc, selected all from the corrupted doc and copied over to the new
doc, but the problem persisted.

If I select any of the images that are within the tables and attempt to manipulate it I
sometimes get this message:

There is not enough memory or disk space to display or print the picture.

Any orientation of feedback is extremely (to say the least) welcomed!

Just in case, I have uploaded the corrupted file so that if anyone wants to, can see it:
http://home.comcast.net/~sgarciav/ThePhotovoreBad.doc file size ~480KB

Thank you for your time and asssistance
Saga

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
[email protected] pawallens@gmail.com is offline

http://pubs.logicalexpressions.com/p...cle.asp?ID=536

Had the same problem yesterday....found this and correcting the
formatting worked....still took a long time to get all fixed but
better that starting over

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Saga Saga is offline

Hmmm.. I had already replied to your mesage, but it appears that the post
never appeared :-S

Just to say thanks for your assistance. I tried some of the suggestions offered
in that link, but I did not really accomplish anything significant. I took the file
home and opened it with my trusty Word 2000 PC. I had to restore the changed
text manually, but finally got it done. When I got back to the office on Monday
and reopened and edited the fixed document the problem did not reoccur. In
fact, since Monday I have been adding to the document and even finished it
and the problem just seemed to have vanished as mysteriously as it appeared.

Not really sure what happened :-S

Again, thanks for your reply
Saga
--