Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
XKath XKath is offline

Default Tables, protected forms and fields

I am creating identical forms on a single document using Word tables and
fields. I fill in one table and three more forms are filled in automatically
with the same data. I've protected the document, except for the initial form
that I fill in. While the document is unprotected, I'm putting in fields and
referencing them back to the source form. However, one cell is not accepting
the field. When I try navigating to this cell by tabbing to it, it skips this
cell. Is this cell haunted? 8-0
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The usual way to do this would be to use form fields in the initial form and
REF fields (referring to the bookmarks of the form fields) in the rest (see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm). Is that what you're doing? If
you set each of the form fields to "Calculate on exit," the REF fields are
updated automatically.

If the document is unprotected and you can't access a given cell in a table,
it might be that the paragraph formatting is the issue. Select that cell
along with adjacent ones and go to Format | Paragraph. Make sure the
alignment is Left and there are no indents.

"XKath" wrote in message
I am creating identical forms on a single document using Word tables and
fields. I fill in one table and three more forms are filled in

automatically
with the same data. I've protected the document, except for the initial

form
that I fill in. While the document is unprotected, I'm putting in fields

and
referencing them back to the source form. However, one cell is not

accepting
the field. When I try navigating to this cell by tabbing to it, it skips

this
cell. Is this cell haunted? 8-0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
XKath XKath is offline

I did all that,. I replicated all the steps in the other cells. It just
won't let me inset the REF field into two cells.

"XKath" wrote in message
I am creating identical forms on a single document using Word tables and
fields. I fill in one table and three more forms are filled in

automatically
with the same data. I've protected the document, except for the initial

form
that I fill in. While the document is unprotected, I'm putting in fields

and
referencing them back to the source form. However, one cell is not

accepting
the field. When I try navigating to this cell by tabbing to it, it skips

this
cell. Is this cell haunted? 8-0

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

If you'd like to send me the problem document, I'll take a look. Be sure to
describe the problem in your cover email.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

The usual way to do this would be to use form fields in the initial form

and
REF fields (referring to the bookmarks of the form fields) in the rest

(see
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm). Is that what you're

doing? If
you set each of the form fields to "Calculate on exit," the REF fields

are
updated automatically.

If the document is unprotected and you can't access a given cell in a

table,
it might be that the paragraph formatting is the issue. Select that cell
along with adjacent ones and go to Format | Paragraph. Make sure the
alignment is Left and there are no indents.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.