Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Mike Faulkner Mike Faulkner is offline

Default Table text style alignment is ignored

OS: Vista SP1
App: Word 2007 SP1

Hi

My Normal style is set to Justified. When I insert a table it's text
alignment properties are ignored and uses previous alignment of Justified.

Repro steps:
1. Delete any [Normal.dot] found
2. Create new document
3. Modify Normal to be Justified (All documents)
4. Insert some text (Justified)
5. Insert a table (Table style text alignment Left aligned)
6. On inspection Table text is Justified

Regards
Mike
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

There is a peculiar connection between the formatting of the Normal style
and the text formatting in table styles (apparently, the behavior is by
design, for some reason). :-(

The setting of the table style should be honored if you change back the
Normal style to its default settings. (You could then use some other style
than Normal for the text in the document that should be justified; be sure
to add it to the template.)

However, it will be a lot easier not to modify the font and paragraph
settings for table styles but instead apply the appropriate *paragraph
style* to format the text in cells.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Mike Faulkner" wrote in message
OS: Vista SP1
App: Word 2007 SP1

Hi

My Normal style is set to Justified. When I insert a table it's text
alignment properties are ignored and uses previous alignment of Justified.

Repro steps:
1. Delete any [Normal.dot] found
2. Create new document
3. Modify Normal to be Justified (All documents)
4. Insert some text (Justified)
5. Insert a table (Table style text alignment Left aligned)
6. On inspection Table text is Justified

Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

You are welcome.

FWIW, see also this article on table styles:
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/tablestyles/index.html.

--

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Suzanne,

Sad to say, but as you probably know, the Word programmers have abandoned
your very sensible advice by setting Normal in W2007 to 1.15 line spacing
plus 10 points space after. I have been recommending to my corporate clients
that they change W2007's Normal to single spacing and no space after for the
reasons you give--I believe I got them from one of your answers some time ago.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Also of interest may be
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...BodyStyles.htm

You are welcome.

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

I forget the actual particulars, but it seems that in previous versions
Normal was actually combining two functions: the "normal" style and the
default style. In Word 2007, there's some underlying default style that is
more basic than Normal (and can be divorced from it). I forget exactly how
this plays out, but it has to do with the problems we saw in table styles if
the font of Normal had been changed. It may be that I'm making this up and
that it's just the font that this affects, not the paragraph formatting. At
least MS does provide the No Spacing style, which could be used in place of
Normal.

Although I'm not crazy about the spacing of the new Normal (which makes it
even more difficult to get an exact number of lines on a page), I like the
fact that it creates what, for many users, is a more attractive format from
the get-go (the amount of space between paragraphs is perhaps enough to wean
users from pressing Enter twice). But I confess I've been using Word 2007
only for (a) blogging, for which the default style works well, and (b)
writing letters to my daughter using an old (Word 2003) template with old
styles. So I haven't had much experience with the new styles.

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Also of interest may be
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...BodyStyles.htm

You are welcome.

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

I forget the actual particulars, but it seems that in previous versions
Normal was actually combining two functions: the "normal" style and the
default style. In Word 2007, there's some underlying default style that is
more basic than Normal (and can be divorced from it). I forget exactly how
this plays out, but it has to do with the problems we saw in table styles
if
the font of Normal had been changed. It may be that I'm making this up and
that it's just the font that this affects, not the paragraph formatting.

I think you are referring to the fact that Word 2007 allows you to set the
document defaults (on the Set Defaults tab of the Manage Styles dialog box),
which is different from changing the Normal style. I'm not sure if that is
directly relevant for table styles, though.

FWIW, there is a thread on document defaults (in the .newusers group):

Manage Styles window query
http://groups.google.se/group/micros...91846ad2e7f6e/

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Also of interest may be
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...BodyStyles.htm

You are welcome.

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

Yes, thanks, Stefan. I think that may be what I'm thinking of, though I
believe that there is also now a "default" font that is not just the font of
Normal style, and that was what solved the table font problem. I notice that
the definition of Normal style now explicitly includes reference to the
default font (so that changing the style of Normal doesn't change the
default).

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Also of interest may be
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting...BodyStyles.htm

You are welcome.

[quoted text clipped - 41 lines]
Regards
Mike

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

By table font problem do you mean the one where the table font size (in a
table style) cannot be set smaller than Normal? Could be interesting.

One of the first things I did was change Normal to my liking (11 pts, single
spacing). But some of the other styles showed up with the extra spacing. At
the time I didn't know what to look for in the styles definitions. I found
the default dialog by accident one day and changed the settings there to my
liking as well. No more problems. So, yes, Normal and default are separate.

PamC

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
Yes, thanks, Stefan. I think that may be what I'm thinking of, though I
believe that there is also now a "default" font that is not just the font of
Normal style, and that was what solved the table font problem. I notice that
the definition of Normal style now explicitly includes reference to the
default font (so that changing the style of Normal doesn't change the
default).

I forget the actual particulars, but it seems that in previous versions
Normal was actually combining two functions: the "normal" style and the

[quoted text clipped - 71 lines]
Regards
Mike