Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Master Documents

Curious observation: Word 2007 Step by Step, published by Microsoft,
does not even mention Master Documents!! (I don't know whether Word
2007 Inside Out, their more advanced manual, mentions them, it wasn't
at my Borders.) Whereas the books not published by Microsoft, such as
the Missing Manual, similar in size and scope to Step by Step, tell
you how they're supposed to work and warn you that they frequently
don't. Incredibly, Borders does not sell Using Word 2007!

Yeah, I have to switch. To Vista & 2007. Because of the Unicode thing.
So since MS doesn't squash a manual into that tiny marigold Office box
(all the different Suites and Upgrades look exactly alike!), I'm
trying to discover which is the best book to rely on. I'm leaning
toward Office 2007 Advanced Documents (or something like that), from
MS Press, which covers the non-basic aspects of Word, Excel,
PowerPoint, and maybe some of the other components.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

Can you expand on what information you're for re the Word Master Documents feature? As far as we know Microsoft didn't focus on
improving that feature over capabilities in prior versions of Word.

One of the authors of "Microsoft Office Word 2007 Inside Out" is Office MVP Beth Melton (and she posts here g). Master Documents
is mentioned in that book (page 248 according to the online Amazon search). Beth can respond with more authority
"Advanced Microsoft Office 2007 Documents 2007 Edition Inside Out" was written by Office MVP Stephanie Krieger (who doesn't get by
here much).

There's also Word MVP Herb Tyson's book, "Microsoft Word 2007 Bible" and Herb is pretty much always here

I don't know which of these focus specifically on Unicode or multi-language features, or if what in that area might be of interest
in selecting one of the books.

==============

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hello Bob

Bob Buckland ?:-) wrote:
[..]
"Advanced Microsoft Office 2007 Documents 2007 Edition Inside Out" was written by Office MVP Stephanie Krieger (who doesn't get by
here much).

.... and it was tech-edited by -- Beth Melton.

Greetinx
Robert
--
/"\ ASCII Ribbon Campaign | MSFT |
\ / | MVP | Scientific Reports
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

I recommend Advanced Office Documents 2007 Edition. When she, Stephanie
Krieger, says advanced she means it. She only covers basic features when
they have changed or behave differently. Her descriptions of the new
features are thorough and clear. I learned a lot about some of the older
advanced features and how or why they work. I read the sections the new
document format and managing documents in xml, and will go back to them when
I need to learn more.

But I did not find master documents in the contents or the index.

PamC

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

And an amazon associated dealer offers it -- and Word Inside Out --
for 65% and 60% off respectively! (And they don't offer Free Shipping,
so they'll probably be here by Wednesday.)

Lest this turn into a mere chat thread, I do have a worry: Will I be
able to transfer my dozens of custom keyboard shortcuts (for accented
letters) from Word 2003 to Word 2007? Everything else about the
template is presumably so different that none of the other
customizations will make sense.

(My old 250 Gb hard drive will become a second internal drive in the
new computer.)

But from looking over the introductory chapter, it doesn't seem that
the 2007 GUI is all that different from the 2003 GUI: "Menus" have
become "Tabs," and selecting a command involves horizontal rather than
vertical mousing. It would be nice to be able to remove the buttons
from the tabs that I'll never use (such as Grammar Check and color
effects); but unless the range of commands available to be put onto
the QAT is severely limited, I can probably get everything I regularly
need in the one row.

If some commands again (as in 2003) don't come with preset button
graphics, it would be nice to be able to copy my homemade ones over,
so that I don't have to try to duplicate them.

And the bibliography device will be very useful.

***

Just this evening one of the prolific MVPs in the thread "Can I write
a 400-page book?" suggested that its OP be warned against trying to
use Master Document.

Not my problem -- the publisher requires InDesign (I'm responsible for
my [what used to be called] camera-ready copy, because of the 100-odd
exotic fonts involved), which strongly recommends against initial
keyboarding within it but wants imported Word files, and InDesign
apparently can handle composite documents successfully.

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Peter,

As long as your keyboard shortcuts aren't ones 'reserved' for Office wide you should be able to transfer the keyboard shortcuts
stored in your current Normal.dot (make a few spare copies of your templates in case you need to 'put one back' at some point g.
Most of the prior version 'regular' keyboard shortcuts also continue to work.

The ability to use custom icons on the Ribbon or the QAT as part of the end user tools is gone, but if you have created custom
toolbars (rather than customizing built in toolbars) from Word 2003, those will show the same graphics you created when used through
the add-ins tab or through a dropdown on the QAT. So as to prepare the files and templates you may want to use for that part of the
transition the information here may be useful:
http://gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm

Just curious - as you can continue to use Word 2003 in Vista, is it specific Vista or Word 2007 changes in regards to Unicode (that
you mentioned) that are needed for your efforts?

=============
"grammatim" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Addressing only the last question (all else waits until Thursday when
I have the new stuff): Windows XP is stuck in Unicode 2.0 from 2001,
and many character ranges have been added since then. This means that
even though some Unicode utilities, such as BabelPad, can display
characters in those ranges (including, e.g., Tibetan and Cuneiform),
they are completely invisible in Character Map, and if you Copy/Paste
them into a Word 2003 document, you get nothing. (I don't remember
whether you get rectangles, indicating the presence of a character
missing from any installed font, but I don't think so -- I think you
get nothing at all.) Since I'm preparing the new edition of my book on
The World's Writing Systems, this really won't do!

(The first edition was done on a Mac, pre-Unicode, so all the fonts
involve putting all the glyphs and variants into 255 slots per font.)

***
Nope, no custom toolbars. Just buttons for Change Case, Insert
Caption, and Insert Cross Reference.
***
But will I find instructions somewhere for transferring the keyboard
shortcuts?

On Aug 4, 12:33 am, "Bob Buckland ?:-\)" 75214.226(At Beautiful
Downtown)compuserve.com wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Look what I found in *Word 2007 Step by Step* (in a box on p. 49 just
after the discussion of Outline View):

"*Tip* You can click the buttons in the Master Document group to
create a master document with subdocuments that you can then display
and hide. The topic of master documents and subdocuments is beyond the
scope of this book. For information, see Word Help."

It should be in the index.

On Aug 3, 3:14 pm, grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

On my equipment and most of my client's, my keyboard shortcuts work in W2007
as they did before. Because I still use W2003, I have not converted my add-
on templates to W2007 files. But I doubt that that would make a difference.

Your description of the new interface is pretty accurate. Just about
everything that was there is still there. Things are grouped differently and
several are not on the ribbon I'd have put them on--but I said that about
the tooolbars too. Unfortunately you can only show one ribbon at a time,
which is what makes the QAT so valuable. If you are willing to learn a little
xml (I believe that's the language) you can customize the ribbon. I would
wait before doing anything like that. Over time, several things that I "just
hated" and knew I wanted to get rid of (the style gallery, for instance), I
ignore now--but see a future use for it.

You can add custom toolbars to the QAT--keeping your current icons--per
instructions he

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...c=1#Post722182

HTH,
PamC

grammatim wrote:
[...]

[quoted text clipped - 26 lines]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

But how will I teach 2007 what my shortcuts are?

On Aug 4, 9:35 pm, "PamC via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe wrote:
[...]

http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...ard=wrd&Number...

HTH,
PamC

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Assuming that you saved your keyboard shortcuts in normal.dot of your
previous Word installation, you can rename that file and then place it in
the Startup folder of your Word 2007 installation. That way, you will get
access to its keyboard shortcuts (and to its macros and AutoTexts).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Keeping the old .dot extension?

And somehow the information it contains will percolate to the new
normal.dotx template? (Soon I'll learn what the different new
extensions do ...)

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

"grammatim" wrote in message
Keeping the old .dot extension?

That should work just fine. Or, if you prefer that, you could use Save As to
create a *.dotm file (or a *.dotx file if it should be macro-free).

And somehow the information it contains will percolate to the new
normal.dotx template? (Soon I'll learn what the different new
extensions do ...)

No, the normal.dotm file of Word 2007 will not be affected (if that's what
you are asking).

Instead, placing a file in the Startup folder will load it as an add-in; see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/customizat...latesStore.htm for a
description of the general principles.

Note, however, that if key assignments of normal.dotm and your add-in
conflict, it is likely that the settings of normal.dotm will prevail, but I
haven't really tested this.

A completely different, and possibly time-consuming, approach is to print
the keyboard shortcuts of your old normal.dot and then manually restore the
ones that you want to normal.dotm (via Word Options).

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

grammatim wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You can also see http://www.gmayor.com/Toolbars_in_word_2007.htm for an
approach that can be used with keyboard shortcuts, macros, AutoText, and the
like as well as toolbars.