Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stickcc stickcc is offline

Default Continue numbering from previous section, Word 2007

Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format the
number to continue from previous.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I'm not sure what you want because what you wrote is a little ambiguous. But
if you want to start each section with page 1, instead of inserting the {
PAGE } field, use the { SECTIONPAGES } field. The { PAGE } field will be
continuous by default .

--
Terry Farrell - MSWord MVP

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stickcc stickcc is offline

Sorry - guess I thought everyone could read my mind.
I want each section to continue numbering not start at 1 at the beginning of
each section.
My document uses the {PAGE} field but when I add a section break, new page,
it starts over at 1.
Hope that makes sense.

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Word replicates the header/footer settings of the previous header in the new
one. I'm guessing that you are creating documents with front matter
sections and are restarting the page numbers for the main text at 1. All
new sections thereafter will also start page numbers at 1. What I do is try
to remember to set the page numbers in the first new section to continuous.
Later ones will then also be continuous.

Pam

stickcc wrote:
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

I understand now... you were using 'think-speak'! I believe Pamelia has hit
the answer. If you are using a different front page and have reset the next
section to start at Page 1, then the reset is being propagated all the way.
Instead, set the page number field to { = { PAGE } - x } where x equals the
number of pages in the front matter. If you need to automate this, you can
add the SECTIONPAGES field to the first (un-numbered) section, bookmark it
and then subtract the Bookmark result.

Terry

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format
the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stickcc stickcc is offline

I am using the formula you described. I have a cover sheet with no page
number, then I have about 9 pages of front matter which has several sections
in that and uses page i , page ii, page iii, etc., and then I start my page
numbering on page 1 and use the formula to subtract the number of pages in
the front matter from the total number of pages in the document. Sometimes I
need to adjust that number according to the length of the TOC and TOF I have.
I'm not sure I understand which section to set as continuous and not sure
how to do that. Since the main document has a different footer, it isn't Same
as Previous, but I've used Same as Previous in all the following sections.
I really appreciate both of your help as I created a template so other
people are trying to deal with this problem and I would like to fix it for
them.
My front matter

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to re-format
the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Okay, let's say you have a section of front matter and then umpteen other
sections of regular text. If you already have these sections, then it's too
late. The trick is this: you insert a section break between the front matter
(Section 1, for the sake of example) and the main document (Section 2) and
set the numbering to restart at 1. Then you insert a section break to create
Section 3 and set the numbering to Continuous in that section. When you then
add Sections 4, 5, 6, etc., they will be Continuous. But if those sections
already exist, then you'll have to set the page format in each one
separately.

Note that "Same as Previous"/"Link to Previous" has no effect on numbering.
You can restart numbering without unlinking sections, and you can link
sections without affecting restarted numbering. Sorry!

http://word.mvps.org

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a
new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would
prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to
re-format
the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Terry Farrell Terry Farrell is offline

If the ToC is part of the 'following matter', the size of the ToC is
irrelevant as the page number will dynamically adjust to the length of the
ToC. However, if the ToC is pre-following matter, then put it in its own
section with a bookmarked SECTIONPAGES field, add the two bookmark results
and subtract from the page numbers.

Terry

"stickcc" wrote in message
Is there an easy way to default to continue numbering when i add a
new
section? Since that is the option that I would use most, I would
prefer
that
to starting at page 1 on each new section and then I have to
re-format
the
number to continue from previous.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
stickcc stickcc is offline

Thanks to all of you. Guess I will have to figure out a way to work around
this issue for the template.