Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joyce Joyce is offline

Default Converting greyed out text into text you can alter

I have scanned in a document into Word and the writing is greyed out and will
not let me alter it, please can you help
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

On Fri, 19 Jun 2009 09:41:01 -0700, Joyce
wrote:

I have scanned in a document into Word and the writing is greyed out and will
not let me alter it, please can you help

Just scanning a document results in a picture of the original, which
is not editable text. To make it into text, you need to run the
picture through specialized software called Optical Character
Recognition (OCR). You may have some that came with the scanner, or
you may have Microsoft Office Document Imaging that comes with Office.

OCR software "reads" the picture and tries to match the shapes of the
letters to the letter outlines that it knows about. This process isn't
perfect, so you have to proofread the result to catch any mistakes.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman