Richard Balfour

Default Master document with different header and footer for subdocuments

Hi Everyone,

I need some help with using Word 2003 to create a master document that
contains several sub-documents.

I have about 7 sub-documents in Word. Each document is set with the
following Page Setup - Layout:

Headers and footers
-----------------------
- Different odd and even
- Different first page

Borders and shading
------------------------
- Apply to: This section, First page only

Each sub-document contains a first page with the Chapter name. No header or
footer is seen on the first page. The subsequent pages have even and odd
headers and footers. The even headers contain the chapter name (from the
first page) and the even footer contains the title of the book with a page
number. The odd footer contains the name of the author with a page number.

When I create a master document with all the linked sub-documents, I lose
all the headers, footers and first page formatting that was laid-out in each
sub-document.

Question
----------

Is there a way to create a master document that links the sub-documents in
such a way that the individual first pages, headers and footers are
preserved? I've heard of using macros to do this but I'm not sure how this
is done, if it *can* be done.

Thanks for your help!

Richard Balfour
Word Heretic

G'day Richard Balfour ,

Normally ye olde master has consistent H&F all the way through - so
you define them INSIDE the master and let it apply them. If you
require different text in the H&F for each section, use STYLREF
fields.

You should also be aware of
http://www.techwr-l.com/techwhirl/ma...masterdocs.doc

Steve Hudson - Word Heretic

Without prejudice

Richard Balfour reckoned:

[...]

Charles Kenyon

Sorry, I don't have an answer because I don't use Master Documents. However,
you may need the reason I don't more than you need an answer. "Master
Document" is a term of art in Word referring to a "feature" that not only
doesn't work but also destroys documents. The consensus (with the limited
exception of Steve Hudson) among those offering advice on these newsgroups
is that using the Master Document feature is a good way to destroy your
document. It can destroy parts of your document that you are not even
working on! I think John McGhie said it succinctly when he said that there
are two kinds of Master Documents: Those that are corrupt and those that
will be corrupt soon. See URL:
http://www.addbalance.com/word/masterdocuments.htm for information on the
Master Document feature and workarounds. (This page also has a link to Steve
Hudson's chapter on how he gets Master Documents to work.) See URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/WhyMasterDocsCorrupt.htm for more
information on what goes wrong, and URL:
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm for ideas on
how to salvage what you can.

--

Charles Kenyon