Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lily@Insight

Default AN SQL query as a data source for a word MAIL MERGE

Hope someone can help me out here ... this is something that causes me all
sorts of frustration and a very silly thing.
If I create a query in SQL, and in the DESIGN VIEW the fields selected are
ordered in a particular way
eg. ID FirstName LastName Company
THEN when I hit the VIEW DATA button the data itself - appears in a totally
different column order
eg LastNAME Company FirstNAME ID
And then - when I link the datasource to a word mail merge document the
field order once more - appears in a totally random manner
eg COMPANY ID LASTNAME FIRSTNAME

This is fine when there are only four fields selected - but I have queries
with upwards of 35 fields.
This is really giving me the major IRRITS!
If anyone can help - I would be most grateful

Thanks
Lily

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGlseUBJbnNpZ2h0?=,

Hope someone can help me out here ... this is something that causes me all
sorts of frustration and a very silly thing.
If I create a query in SQL, and in the DESIGN VIEW the fields selected are
ordered in a particular way
eg. ID FirstName LastName Company
THEN when I hit the VIEW DATA button the data itself - appears in a totally
different column order
eg LastNAME Company FirstNAME ID
And then - when I link the datasource to a word mail merge document the
field order once more - appears in a totally random manner
eg COMPANY ID LASTNAME FIRSTNAME

I can't help you at all with what you're seeing in the "Design view" (of what
application, by the way?). I *might* be able to help you with the order of the
fields in Word, but I need to know which version of Word?

And if this is Word 2002 or 2003 and you're referring to the "Recipients"
dialog box, then there's no way at all you can change this. If we're
discussing the Insert Field list, then the "might" above applies.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lily@Insight

Hi Cindy
The *other* application is SQL Server with an access front end.
And it is Word 2003.
And I am talking about the "Recipients" list ....
So it sounds like I'm stuck with it?
Lily

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TGlseUBJbnNpZ2h0?=,

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?TGlseUBJbnNpZ2h0?=,

The *other* application is SQL Server with an access front end.
And it is Word 2003.
And I am talking about the "Recipients" list ....
So it sounds like I'm stuck with it?

Yep. Someone had the "great" idea to sort the field order in this
dialog box. and not give you any way to influence it.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindymeister (last update Jun 8
2004)
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow
question or reply in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Lily@Insight

Thanks Cindy
I appreciate your 'sympathy' ...
It's funny how the simplest thing can cause the most inconvenience :-(
Ta
Lily

Hi ?B?TGlseUBJbnNpZ2h0?=,