Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

Default Creating a Letterhead Template

I already have a nice template for creating letters in Word 2002/2003 and
printing them on our firm's pre-printed letterhead. I would like to figure
out if there is a way to get that pre-printed letterhead or an image of it
into a Word template. I heard it was possible by scanning the printed
letterhead so I tried it. The printed letterhead includes stuff at the top
(about 1" high: the name of the firm), halfway or more down the left margin
(say 1.5" wide: names of the suits) and stuff at the bottom resembling a
footer (about 1.5" high: office addresses) I have read through the detailed
papers by the ever-helpful Ms. Barnhill and others but I can't figure out
how to do this. I scanned the pre-printed letterhead in to a tif file, and
using Paint broke it up into the 3 parts I described (top, side, bottom).
But after a lot of text boxes, headers, tables, inserting pictures, files,
objects and heaven knows what else, I have gotten nowhere. Tried
"background," too, but the images is vastly oversize! (I asked our
stationery supplier for a graphic, although I am not sure what I would
actually do with it.) BTW, a year or two ago somebody tried to actually
recreate the letterhead in Word at the keyboard but the result was pretty
ugly (for starters, the fonts and graphics are hard to recreate in Word).
Any suggestions?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Charles Kenyon

Hi Joe,

You will get the smallest file if you can recreate the text parts of your
letterhead and just insert the graphics. For the graphics, you will get the
best results if you have your graphics created and sized correctly before
they are inserted into Word. Resizing or cropping graphic images in Word
will greatly increase your file sizes and Word is not as good at editing
graphics as are real graphics programs.

Graphics or text boxes must be formatted as floating (not in line with text)
and I usually put them behind text, except for those along the side if I
want them to fake different margins for the first page. Those are also
floating, but set to wrap text. Note, these elements are put in the headers
and footers, not in the body of the document, even if running along-side.
You change this in textboxes or graphics by right-clicking on the thing you
are trying to change, selecting Format [Textbox] and then the Layout tab.
Note, when setting things up with floating images, you probably want to turn
on display of object anchors. These help you figure out where in the file
your graphic is "anchored" (as opposed to where on the page it is
displayed).

Text may simply be typed in a header or footer and formatted horizontally
using tabs. If this isn't sufficient, use tables.

Take a look at: How to set up letterhead or some other document where you
want one header on the first page and a different header on other pages.
http://www.addbalance.com/word/headersfooters.htm This gives step-by-step
instructions. While I think Suzanne's page is better than mine, different
people say things in different ways and sometimes the way I say something
may click with your though processes. (It also has the following links)

Some other pages to look at:

Letterhead Textboxes and Styles tutorial
http://addbalance.com/word/download....StylesTutorial

Template Basics
http://www.addbalance.com/usersguide/templates.htm

How to Create a Template - Part 2 - essential reading
http://www.mvps.org/word/FAQs/Custom...platePart2.htm

Finally, once you go to all this work and set up your template, you will
probably start producing templates based on it for routine form letters.
What happens when you change your letterhead? You will want these subsidiary
templates to also change. This isn't automatic, but you can build it in
rather easily at the early stages. Once you have the letterhead that you
want, write back if this is of interest to you. There are a couple of ways
to do this.

Hope this helps,
--

Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"Joe McGuire" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

You've made a good start. You need to put the top part in First Page Header
(inline) and the bottom part in the First Page Footer (inline). The part
that goes at the side should be anchored to the First Page Header and given
Square wrapping. As detailed in
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm, leave your top and bottom
margins at 1" or 1.5" (whatever you normally use); just add some Space After
to the header paragraph and Space Before to the footer paragraph (as needed)
to create the needed space between them and the first page of your letter;
the remaining pages (which will have the continuation Header and Footer)
will have the normal margins.

Another issue that can come up is the header/footer margin and side margins.
I'm guessing that the graphic you're using goes all the way to the edge of
the page (I saw such an example recently, so it's fresh in my mind's eye).
There are three ways to handle this:

1. You can set header and footer margins to 0" so that the graphics will
extend to the top and bottom of the page. You then add negative indents
(left and right) to the header and footer paragraphs in order to allow the
sides of the graphic to extend to the side margins. If you choose this
route, you should probably define separate First Page Header and First Page
Footer styles (with the required negative indents), and you'll need to add
Space Before to the Header style and Space After to the Footer style to
place them correctly.

2. You can wrap the header and footer graphics. If they're just anchored to
the First Page Header/Footer paragraphs, they can be anywhere, without
regard to the margins. This is not a terrible solution, but it's a little
less stable, and you'll still need to add Space After/Before to those
paragraphs, which may be hiding behind the graphics (possibly not if you use
Square wrapping).

3. You can trim the graphics. This is much the best approach. Assuming that
margins are built into the letterhead design, trim off the white space
around the top and sides until it will fit within reasonable margins (at
least the header margin; you can still use negative indents if necessary).

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Joe McGuire

I appreciate your help and Mr. Kenyon's. After floundering around for a
while I finally got the first element of the letterhead--the firm name with
a minor graphic--into the header. Now it shows up in almost the same way as
on the printed letterhead. YES! YES! I knew I could do this!!! Almost,
of course, being the operative word. I can see this is going to be a LOT of
work. There seems to be a faint green vertical line in about the middle of
the firm name--and it shows up in print. Also the "letterhead printing is a
little "fuzzy" and one of the names in the firm (mine, of course) is sort of
grayed-out, perhaps trying to tell me something. But worst, the entire
image is actually listing slightly to starboard, which probably means I
ought to start over with the scanning to get a better image.

Meanwhile, I note that even with this modification, this template is only
70kb compared with 37kb in my original letter tmeplate (for composing
letters and printing them on the firm letterhead paper.

I will try to provide progress reports.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
[...]

so
all may benefit.

How Come? Michael Koerner Mailmerge 9 February 10th 06 11:29 PM
Need help creating a template for work with a locked indentations Doug Microsoft Word Help 3 January 5th 06 12:22 AM
Global/Master Template [email protected] New Users 1 October 27th 05 03:34 PM
MS Word should support inheritence with regard to templates Ian Microsoft Word Help 3 October 6th 05 05:21 PM
CPU Usage When working with a Template I Created KM1 Microsoft Word Help 6 May 24th 05 04:38 PM