Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flowe

Default mailmerge preview button grayed out

Here I am again:

Hi all

Using Word 2000 on XPSP2, I try to merge an Excel address file with an
enveloppe. I succeded with the layout with sender and variable address
areas, and in mailmerge manager (German: "series print manager") it says
"Layout and data source ready for use". Now I want to see a previev of
my envelope using the first and then the next address rows from the Excel
file according to the specified column headers «€¦Â» in the variable area.

Help says to click the preview button (similar to «ABC») in the mailmerge tool
bar, but this is gray and dead. In the mailmerge manager, the Execute button
is gray and useless too. I can print with the correct layout, but only get
the column headers «€¦Â» on the envelope.

Where did I go wrong?
Many thanks in advance
flowe
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

It sounds like you do not have any merge fields in the mailmerge main
document. Is there something between the and does it match the
names of the fields in the data source.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"flowe" wrote in message
Here I am again:

Hi all

Using Word 2000 on XPSP2, I try to merge an Excel address file with an
enveloppe. I succeded with the layout with sender and variable address
areas, and in mailmerge manager (German: "series print manager") it says
"Layout and data source ready for use". Now I want to see a previev of
my envelope using the first and then the next address rows from the Excel
file according to the specified column headers «.» in the variable area.

Help says to click the preview button (similar to «ABC») in the mailmerge
tool
bar, but this is gray and dead. In the mailmerge manager, the Execute
button
is gray and useless too. I can print with the correct layout, but only get
the column headers «.» on the envelope.

Where did I go wrong?
Many thanks in advance
flowe

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
flowe

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

It sounds like you do not have any merge fields in the mailmerge main
document. Is there something between the and does it match the
names of the fields in the data source.

Somewhat belated, I would like to thank Doug Robins for his answer.
I solved the problem and executed the job - so the problem ceased to be one.
I don't know what has been the reason that it didn't and then did work.
Kind regards
flowe