Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PA

Default Word - Excel DDE Connection Difficulties(ver 2002)

We are having a nightmare with one Excel file that has been used for several
years as a data source into a report created in Word.
Since converting to Office XP, we have always had Word set to "Confirm
Conversion at Open" and advotcated DDE as the appropriate choice, when asked.
This was the default before Microsoft made the change to OLEDB (why they
fixed something that wasnt broken will forever remain a mystery to me).
In any event, this one Excel file refuses to make the DDE connection.
I found an article at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/198299 and we tried
each of the suggested fixes, to no avail. I specify WE because when I
failed, I asked several other computer literate individuals to give it a try,
as well.
I have done the Open and Repair on the file from the Open button, scanned
for virus, etc.
There are currently 7246 records, out to column Y. Rekeying the file is out
of the question.
Any additional suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Paul
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Just a few thoughts:

It sounds as if this change in behaviour has occurred recently.

If that is correct, can you tell whether
a. the change is related to any updates applied (e.g. via Windows Update,
Microsoft Update, or otherwise?
b. the change is related to an increase in the Excel file size (i.e., can
you go back and check with an earlier version of the Excel file?)

Peter Jamieson
"PA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
PA

Thank you for the feedback.

We have had recent updates to Windows, for both 2000 and XP (we are running
both)
The installer was upgraded to better accomodate MSI's, amoung other things.

"PA" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

So it was working before the updates, and now it's not?

Personally, I would try to use backups or Windows XP Restore Points to try
to identify when the problem was introduced and examine that update in
particular. Sorry I can't be more specific.

Peter Jamieson