Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JadedGemini

Default Merge in Word adds labels between columns

I am trying to created a merge (with label 5293) in Word 2003 by using Excel
2003 as the Data Source. Once I arrange/format the first cell and go to
update all cells the labels are placed in the columns AND between the (first
3) columns. I am trying to do a complex merge where I enter in the data,
paste a design in the background and add a logo. Any suggestions are
appreciated.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I have never been able to work out how Word detects that it needs to avoid
propagating labels to columns 2,4,6 (perhaps it is obvious to someone else)
but certainly doing things like modifying the column width, and possibly
applying other formatting make Word revert to propagating labels to every
cell in the table.

What to do depends on whether or not Word is copying anything other than
text to columns 2,4,6. If it is just copying text and the cells are
otherwise formatted how you need you can tyr:
a. propagate
b. select column 2
c. delete
d. repeat b,c for columns 4 and 6.

If you need any formatting in columns 2,4,6 and the propagate is overwriting
it, re-apply the formatting after the propagate.

Peter Jamieson

"JadedGemini" wrote in message
I am trying to created a merge (with label 5293) in Word 2003 by using
Excel
2003 as the Data Source. Once I arrange/format the first cell and go to
update all cells the labels are placed in the columns AND between the
(first
3) columns. I am trying to do a complex merge where I enter in the data,
paste a design in the background and add a logo. Any suggestions are
appreciated.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

With complex label formats it is probably simpler to set the document type
as Form letter and create the required layout (including the {next} fields)
manually. Then the propagation cannot conspire to screw up your document -
because it won't be available

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JadedGemini

Thank you Peter and Graham. Can you please tell me how to set a document as
a form letter. Also, I am trying to paste a modified version of the "Astro"
Microsoft Publisher design template in the background. I am having trouble
placing it evenly within the cell. Do you know how I can keep it from
jumping instead of moving slightly.

8~)

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

Can you please tell me how to set a document as
a form letter.

Either go to the first step in the Mail Merge Wizard, or enable the
Mailmerge toolbar and click the first icon, and change the mailmerge type to
"Letters". You can use the Table menu to insert a table, or adapt the one
you already created in your exisitng merge.

Also, I am trying to paste a modified version of the "Astro"
Microsoft Publisher design template in the background. I am having
trouble
placing it evenly within the cell. Do you know how I can keep it from
jumping instead of moving slightly.

I'd visit Graham's page at

http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

and see if you can find an answer there. Graham knows a lot more about that
stuff than I do :-)

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Peter has this covered, but start it off as a label merge to give you your
table in the required format to match your labels, then change the document
type from the merge toolbar.

See also http://www.gmayor.com/graphics_on_labels.htm

Peter Jamieson wrote:
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
JadedGemini

Thank you Peter and Graham! Your information helped a great deal. Hope you
have a great memorial day weekend.

Take care.