Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dee

Default Mail Merge - Directory

I am trying to do a mail merge using an excel spreadsheet. I want to create a
directory in a table. I tell word I want to create a directroy, I choose my
recipients list, I add my merge fields in the 2 columns. I want the Name in
my first column and the site name and city in my second columln. I perform
the merge but I either get all one row tables with different names in each
table or I get only the first name in my list in all the rows. Could anyone
tell me what I am doing wrong. Am I missing a step. I am using Word 2003. Can
you create a directory from a table in word, should you create the number of
rows you will need or will they be added automatically according to the
recipient list?

Thanks very much for any help.

Best regards,

Dee
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

If you use a Directory type mailmerge main documnet in which you have a one
row table in the cells of which you insert the mergefields, when you execute
the merge to a new document (which is the only possibility with a
Directory), the document that is produced will contain a table with a row of
data for each record in the data source.

If you a getting just one row of data per page when you execute the merge,
either you a not using a Directory type main document or you have a hard
page return after the table or the paragraph format in the table is set to
have a Page Break before.

If you run the following macro when you mailmerge main document is active,
it will display 3 in a message box if you are using a Directory type main
document.

MsgBox ActiveDocument.MailMerge.MainDocumentType

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Dee" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Dee

Dear Doug,

It was the paragraph mark at the end of the table. Thank you so much for
your help. I have learned so much from these newsgroups. You are the best!

Best regards

Dee