Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa

Default access query mailmerge - no data

hello,

I'm using access & word 2000. I have a form built to run a query then merge
with word. The query runs as expected, the data is shown in a table, the
word file with the correct fields is open. However, there is no data in the
word file. The mailmerge toolbar is all grayed out. This works once in a
while, but most often doesn't.

If I do this in reverse order, open word and then mailmerge (dde) the query,
it works.

Help!

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

I have a form built to run a query then merge
with word.

In this case, what code does the form use to start Word and open the
document?

With recent updates to Word 2000, you will probably need to read and apply

"Opening This Will Run the Following SQL Command" Message When You Open a
Word Document"

at

http://support.microsoft.com?kbid=825765

even though the article's name does not obviously describe your problem.

Peter Jamieson

"Melissa" wrote in message
hello,

I'm using access & word 2000. I have a form built to run a query then
merge
with word. The query runs as expected, the data is shown in a table, the
word file with the correct fields is open. However, there is no data in
the
word file. The mailmerge toolbar is all grayed out. This works once in a
while, but most often doesn't.

If I do this in reverse order, open word and then mailmerge (dde) the
query,
it works.

Help!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa

Thanks Peter. I was getting that message, and adding SQLSecurityCheck to the
registry got rid of it. However, I'm still having the same problem. The
query is pulling 12 records and opening word, but still no data, and the
mailmerge toolbar is greyed out. Any more ideas?

Thanks

Melissa

"Melissa" wrote in message
hello,

I'm using access & word 2000. I have a form built to run a query then
merge
with word. The query runs as expected, the data is shown in a table, the
word file with the correct fields is open. However, there is no data in
the
word file. The mailmerge toolbar is all grayed out. This works once in a
while, but most often doesn't.

If I do this in reverse order, open word and then mailmerge (dde) the
query,
it works.

Help!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

You'll probably have to open the data source using VBA. How to do that
depends on your code, but if you are automating Word to open the document,
at some point you may have something like:

Set objWord = CreateObject("Word.Document")
Set objDoc = objWord.Open "the document pathname"

in which case you can put

objDoc.MailMerge.OpenDataSource _
Name:="the pathname of the access .mdb", _
Connection:="", _
SQLStatement:="SELECT * FROM [the name of the table/query]"

You will probably need something in the Connection parameter as well, but
try that first.

You can also put an AutoOpen macro in the Word document that does something
similar.

Peter Jamieson
Peter Jamieson

"Melissa" wrote in message
hello,

I'm using access & word 2000. I have a form built to run a query then
merge
with word. The query runs as expected, the data is shown in a table,
the
word file with the correct fields is open. However, there is no data
in
the
word file. The mailmerge toolbar is all grayed out. This works once
in a
while, but most often doesn't.

If I do this in reverse order, open word and then mailmerge (dde) the
query,
it works.

Help!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Melissa

I don't think I mentioned that this has been working for the past couple of
years. I'm not sure what, if anything has changed. So I feel like adding
more code would be re-inventing the wheel.

"Melissa" wrote in message
hello,

I'm using access & word 2000. I have a form built to run a query then
merge
with word. The query runs as expected, the data is shown in a table,
the
word file with the correct fields is open. However, there is no data
in
the
word file. The mailmerge toolbar is all grayed out. This works once
in a
while, but most often doesn't.

If I do this in reverse order, open word and then mailmerge (dde) the
query,
it works.

Help!

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Peter Jamieson

If you weren't getting the SQL message before, and now you are, that
suggests to me that an update has been applied recently and it probably will
affect behaviour in this way.

One approach to diagnosis is to go back through recent updates in Control
Panel|Add and remove software, try to determine the update that caused the
change in behaviour, and look up the associated articles on the Microsoft
site - although they don't always tell you everything that changed in the
update. The trouble is that even if you manage to determine which update (if
any) changed this, you still have to decide whether or not to remove it, and
so on. Since it's probably there for a good reason, that may be a difficult
decision.

Another approach is - if it is relatively easy - to change the code and see
if that makes the difference. If it does, you may not know /for sure/ what
the cause is, which is always a bit disconcerting, but at least your system
works again. I don't like fixing stuff because of changes made by a software
supplier any more than the next person does, but in the end I usually end up
biting the bullet and doing it.

There are other possible causes such as the document becoming corrupted,
changes to the associated template or normal.dot, and you could for example
do stuff like rename normal.dot, recreate your document, and so on to see if
document behaviour reveted.

Not much more I suggest!

Peter Jamieson

add the suggested code
If the code is relatively easy to add, I would add it and see if it fixes
the problem, then consider the options

news