Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Angela

Default Formatting a Mail Merge Field

We are trying to to do a maint increase letter. So we have a letter and
there are certain fields coming from excel. So we have a field that is
'increased amount'. In excel it is formatted in numeric with only two
decimal places. (We have also tried formatting the excel fields in currency,
two decimal points).
The office manager does what she needs to do to merge, but the increased
amount field comes up with "$24.36589452" We only need two decimal places.
How can I format the field so it will print properly. I have tried looking
at the help notes and have not been successful. This is maddening, so if
someone would help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
Angela
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Doug Robbins - Word MVP

That would have to be the most commonly asked question in this newsgroup and
about 30 seconds of browsing earlier questions and the answers to them would
have given you the information that you need.

Anyway, three and half hours later, here it is:

See "Formatting Word fields with switches" on fellow MVP Graham Mayor's
website at

Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Angela" wrote in message
We are trying to to do a maint increase letter. So we have a letter and
there are certain fields coming from excel. So we have a field that is
'increased amount'. In excel it is formatted in numeric with only two
decimal places. (We have also tried formatting the excel fields in
currency,
two decimal points).
The office manager does what she needs to do to merge, but the increased
amount field comes up with "$24.36589452" We only need two decimal
places.
How can I format the field so it will print properly. I have tried
looking
at the help notes and have not been successful. This is maddening, so if
someone would help me, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you in advance,
Angela

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Angela

Thanks for the link but the would have been nicer without the commentary. As
I stated in my original posting, the help notes, were not helping our office
manager. She is not very familar with the field switch codes. I would have
expected an MVP to be more pleasant.