Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Klaus Klaus is offline

Default is there any way to change the menu layout back to the word 2003 s

I find the new menu layout horrible. I can't find what I want quickly enough
to be productive. I'm seriously considering uninstalling this new version.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

There is no way to get the 2003 menu/toolbars in Word 2007 (at least no
built-in way, and no existing way that I'm aware of). While I suppose it's
just a matter of time before someone develops an x-ribbon addon that
reinvents that particular wheel, I know from first-hand experience that it
is possible to actually become more proficient in Word 2007 than in Word
2003. I suspect that for accustomed Word veterans, however, it's a harder
road to travel than for Word neophytes.

If you're using Word 2007 in Vista, there's a lot to like, especially when
you need to find files, since most of Office 2007 uses Vista's file search
and navigation tools. If you're using Windows XP, however, Word 2007 is a
tougher puppy to love.

Good luck!

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
"Klaus" wrote in message
I find the new menu layout horrible. I can't find what I want quickly
enough
to be productive. I'm seriously considering uninstalling this new version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Although... maybe there's something for it already. I just discovered this,
but I don't know anything about it:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/de...itemid=3375664

"Classic Menu for Office 2007"

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
http://www.herbtyson.com
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
"Klaus" wrote in message
Thanks!
Klaus Iden

"Klaus" wrote in message
I find the new menu layout horrible. I can't find what I want quickly
enough
to be productive. I'm seriously considering uninstalling this new
version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Herb Tyson [MVP] wrote:
. I suspect that for
accustomed Word veterans, however, it's a harder road to travel than
for Word neophytes.

Good luck!

I find the new menu layout horrible. I can't find what I want quickly
enough
to be productive. I'm seriously considering uninstalling this new
version.

You can say that again. I installed the trial and got so annoyed with it
that I took it off and am back in my comfort zone. However, Cindy Meister
posted this a while back, which may help:

I don't know if anyone has stumbled across this, yet. And I
don't know why the idea didn't occur to me any sooner...

For those of you who prefer the old menu system:

In Word 2003 (or earlier) create a new template (which
you're going to name Normal. dot). Tools/Customize and
create a new toolbar, saving it in this template. Hold CTRL
and drag each Word menu (File, Edit, Insert, etc) into the
toolbar. Save. Close and name it Normal. dot. Copy it to
your Word 2007 machine and replace the existing Normal. dot.

Start Word 2007 and look in the Add-ins tab All your
Word menus, just as you know them now. Of course, no
guarantees that ALL of them will work. But most of them
appear to...

-- Cindy

As for 2007, business are going to love the extra training costs that this
new version adds. Me? I suppose I'll have another go when time allows.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Hi Herb,

Curious that the Windows marketplace listing doesn't list the author or link to the author's website.
http://addintools.com/english/menuoffice/

Version 1.55 (06Mar07) appears to have fixed a problem with v1.51 (prior version). In the prior version 16 errors occured each time
you started Word with this add in g). While I haven't tried every menu choice, it installs easily (although the installer and the
listing in Add/Remove programs still calls it 1.51 rather than 1.55) and using the ribbon minimized (ctrl+F1) the 'menu' tab it adds
on the minimized ribbon gives you a sort of combination of classic menu dropdown titles and the old standard and formatting toolbars
in a ribbon wrapper.

There are a couple of expected items missing (such as Tools=Options) but the author requests that folks let them know about items
that are missing. Hopefully they'll stop overlooking details such as the version you're installing, as it can tend to give you a
bit of a sense of 'what else was overlooked', but it's interesting to play with.
================
"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote in message ...
Although... maybe there's something for it already. I just discovered this,
but I don't know anything about it:

http://www.windowsmarketplace.com/de...itemid=3375664

"Classic Menu for Office 2007"

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP

--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
William Portal William Portal is offline

I agree absolutely with Klaus. I am very disappointed to see a new version
of Office released which does not support the menu and previous shortcuts.
For anyone who used Office using shortcut keys, rather than a mouse, this new
approach reduces productivity. Users are now faced with the choice between,
(a) Using an older version of Office and not being able to read the new XML
file formats. Over time this becomes less atrractive.
(b) Upgrading to the new version of Office and having to pay $30 extra to
replace menu functions, which have been inexplicably removed.

It is a long standing approach with software that new versions should
support all the functions in existing versions. I do not understand why MS
has removed productivity options in this way. In addition for many people
using large fonts or small monitors, the ribbin now takes up 30% of the total
screen area and makes it much harder to work wiht documents / spreadsheets.
This menu change would seem to reduce the accessibility of the product for
people with bad eye-sight.

"Klaus" wrote in message
I find the new menu layout horrible. I can't find what I want quickly
enough
to be productive. I'm seriously considering uninstalling this new version.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
William Portal[_2_] William Portal[_2_] is offline

Yes, I did notice that the short-cuts did work - the only problem is that
there is no longer a visual clue (the sub-menu) saying what the available
options are or showing what the mnemonic is for them. For those of us who
use more than one software package it is dfficult to remember all the
short-cuts for each. With the new 2007 version, you cannot use the up and
down arrows to move to and select an item on the sub-menu.

Anyway, I found the new 2007 version's user-interface so unproductive and
found that it uses up so much of the space on the screen, that I have
uninstalled it and replaced it with the previous version of Office.