Jon R

Default unprotect document option is grayed out - cannot unprotect?

I have used the Protect option in Word (Office 2003) in order to protect the
forms I have created. I saved the document and closed it. On coming back to
the document and opening it I noticed that I could not make any changes, even
in the text and check boxes. I went to the Tools menu to unprotect the forms
only to find that the "unprotect document" button is grayed out? I cannot
unprotect the document and therefore it looks nice but is useless.

I have tried opening the document as a read-only and as a read-write
document without it making a difference.

I am stuck - do I need to start all over again?
Kurt S

I was helping a client the other day with forms and noticed that the
'unprotect" option was causing major problems. Instead I turned on the Forms
toolbar and used the icon that looks like a lock. It performed much better.
Give that a try.

"Jon R" wrote:

I have used the Protect option in Word (Office 2003) in order to protect the
forms I have created. I saved the document and closed it. On coming back to
the document and opening it I noticed that I could not make any changes, even
in the text and check boxes. I went to the Tools menu to unprotect the forms
only to find that the "unprotect document" button is grayed out? I cannot
unprotect the document and therefore it looks nice but is useless.

I have tried opening the document as a read-only and as a read-write
document without it making a difference.

I am stuck - do I need to start all over again?

Cindy M -WordMVP-

Hi ?B?Sm9uIFI=?=,

Most likely, you used the Controls Toolbox and thus activated the macro layer in
the document. This triggers macro security, and if you have your security set to
"high", this is what you get.

Either follow Kurt's advice and recreate the form using the Forms toolbar, or
set your macro security to "Middle".

I have used the Protect option in Word (Office 2003) in order to protect the
forms I have created. I saved the document and closed it. On coming back to
the document and opening it I noticed that I could not make any changes, even
in the text and check boxes. I went to the Tools menu to unprotect the forms
only to find that the "unprotect document" button is grayed out? I cannot
unprotect the document and therefore it looks nice but is useless.

I have tried opening the document as a read-only and as a read-write
document without it making a difference.

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)