Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] racecannon@gmail.com is offline

Default Question about styles

I have a very large document, about fifty pages, that was made without
styles. It contains articles and sections and subsection, like:

Article I: Title
Section 1.01. Content...
Subsection 1.01.a

I would like to know if it's possible to highlight the whole document
and apply a style to it, whereby the style would recognize the nested
nature of the document. I don't want to have to go through to each
paragraph and apply the proper formatting style for each section and
subsection.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
periodic periodic is offline

I don't think there is.

But what you can do if the headings and so have been directly formated is to
check in the styles and formating window (Format|Styles and formating) (in
Word 2003 that is). Choose the formatting in use and you should see a
number of formating that word has recognized in your document. Hover with the
mouse over one formating and click the arrow appearing on the right hand
side. Then click on the "Select all x instances".

All instances of that formating will now be selected and you can apply a
proper style to the selection.

The other method would be to use some VBA to do this.

" wrote:

I have a very large document, about fifty pages, that was made without
styles. It contains articles and sections and subsection, like:

Article I: Title
Section 1.01. Content...
Subsection 1.01.a

I would like to know if it's possible to highlight the whole document
and apply a style to it, whereby the style would recognize the nested
nature of the document. I don't want to have to go through to each
paragraph and apply the proper formatting style for each section and
subsection.

Thank you.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
periodic periodic is offline

To clarify one thing. The "Formating in use" can be found in the bottom of
the styles and formatting window where is says: Show. Click the arrow in the
right corner and from the list you get there you can find the option:
Formating in use

" wrote:

I have a very large document, about fifty pages, that was made without
styles. It contains articles and sections and subsection, like:

Article I: Title
Section 1.01. Content...
Subsection 1.01.a

I would like to know if it's possible to highlight the whole document
and apply a style to it, whereby the style would recognize the nested
nature of the document. I don't want to have to go through to each
paragraph and apply the proper formatting style for each section and
subsection.

Thank you.

Styles Question Joe McGuire Microsoft Word Help 1 September 26th 06 08:22 AM
Make Word Outlining use bullet styles instead of heading styles? BobW Microsoft Word Help 1 April 13th 06 05:21 PM
Change default table of contents linked styles and styles [email protected] Formatting Long Documents 2 February 16th 06 01:58 PM
A question of Styles elillis New Users 1 June 22nd 05 07:22 PM
BUG in Word 2003: Styles Organiser won't copy Styles with spaces Rick Raubenheimer Microsoft Word Help 2 March 31st 05 02:57 PM