Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chad@KSA Chad@KSA is offline

Default How to link a document field to a table cell?

I have a table in a WORD document. Later in the document, I need to extract
data from a particular cell in the table. How do I do that?
Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

See this article:
http://gregmaxey.mvps.org/Repeating_Data.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Chad@KSA" wrote:

I have a table in a WORD document. Later in the document, I need to extract
data from a particular cell in the table. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chad@KSA Chad@KSA is offline

Thanks, eventually I did find the bookmark&REF function. However I have found
it is easy to loose the bookmarks. Any suggestions for not losing them?

"Chad@KSA" wrote:

I have a table in a WORD document. Later in the document, I need to extract
data from a particular cell in the table. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Chad@KSA Chad@KSA is offline

Thanks. I eventually found the bookmark&REF combination. However, I found it
is easy to lose the bookmarks. Any suggestions of how to protect them?

"Chad@KSA" wrote:

I have a table in a WORD document. Later in the document, I need to extract
data from a particular cell in the table. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Unless you change your document to a protected form, a bookmark _can_ be
deleted quite easily. But if you are the only person editing the document,
you know about the bookmark and you can be careful not to delete it.

One way to make the bookmark more "safe" could be to select the entire table
cell when adding the bookmark (then the bookmark will not be deleted unless
you delete the cell). However, this means that the reference to the bookmark
will also insert the entire table cell - I don't know whether this is
acceptable. Bookmarking the entire table cell will make sure that the
reference always contains all contents from the table cell. If the bookmark
includes only the text, there is a risk that content is added outside the
bookmark. For details about such bookmark problems, see the demos at:
http://www.thedoctools.com/index.php...erence_trouble

For help on forms, see:
http://www.word.mvps.org/FAQs/Custom...nTheBlanks.htm

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"Chad@KSA" wrote:

I have a table in a WORD document. Later in the document, I need to extract
data from a particular cell in the table. How do I do that?

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Chad,

If the cell you want to refer to has only numeric data in it, you can bookmark the entire table, then use a formula to reference the
cell. I think your users would be much less likely to delete such a bookmark - unless they delete the entire table.

As an example, say you select the table and bookmark it as 'MyTable'. You could then reference cell C1 from that table via a formula
field coded as {=SUM(MyTable C1)}. You can use the same technique to replicate data across tables and to perform maths on data in
the tables from outside the tables concerned.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]