Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lenny Lenny is offline

Default Defining tables in calculations

I am building a protected Word template invoice form (word 2003) and don't
want to insert an Excel spreadsheet for a number of reasons. How do I
reference a cell from a different table in the same document in the
calculation itself? (A4+Table2,B8)??????

Page 1 consists of table 1 and page 2, which is a continuation sheet,
contains table 2. Both tables use row calculations as: D1*E1=total to the
bottom of the page.

At the bottom of page 2, I want to add the cell results for a total for that
page. At the bottom of page 1, I wish to total all cell results in the last
column, carry or pull over the total from page 2, then add both total 1 and
total 2 for a 'grand total'.

I have been successful at compiling calculations in word tables (prior
versions) that add subtotals for a grand total for a number of years and have
never run into any problems. Totals calculate properly... Recently, I have
read in some of the threads from the mvp's that this is a problem with word
tables and you cannot add 'subtotals' that are results of a direct
calculation? Is there a better or different way of getting the correct
totals? (hidden column, direct references, etc?)

My thanks - Lenny

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Lenny,

To do that you bookmark the whole table, then incorporate the bookmark name into your formula.

For an example how to do this and a wide range of other calculations in Word, check out my Word Field Maths 'tutorial', at:
http://www.wopr.com/cgi-bin/w3t/show...?Number=365442
or
http://www.gmayor.com/downloads.htm#Third_party
In particular, look at the item titled 'Reference Table Cells From Outside The Table'

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lenny Lenny is offline

Hi again macropod:
I downloaded your zipped file and there is a lot of great information in the
file. A question though, since it was not answered by anything in the
download.

Is there a problem with Words calculations involving sub-totals?
Example: 6 * 3 = 18 (subtotal) D1*E1 = F1
5 * 4 = 20 (subtotal) D2*E2 = F2
9 * 3 = 27 (subtotal) D3*E3 = F3
65 (total) =Sum(F1:F3)

The total is adding the calculated totals in cells F1 thru F3. As indicated
in my earlier post, I have seen posts that indicate that doing this poses
addition problems and inconsistencies. Have you found this to be the
case.....can you address this in a post and it could really mess up a lot of
peoples days, not to mention Word form templates..... my thanks - Lenny

"Lenny" wrote in message ...
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables

The problem occurs if formfields are being used as with a document that is
protected for forms.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Lenny" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
macropod macropod is offline

Hi Lenny,

There is a problem when you use a formfield to calculate results based on other formfields. Since you can always use formula fields
instead, the really simple solution is to use formula fields instead of formfields to do calculate the results of any formfields. If
you're not using formfields (which you would for a document protected for forms), the problem doesn't arise.

Cheers
--
macropod
[MVP - Microsoft Word]

calculations in tables LM Tables 8 June 22nd 07 03:04 PM
Calculations in tables oe New Users 1 April 1st 06 06:22 PM
Calculations in Word Tables Lord Tables 1 March 24th 06 09:08 PM
Calculations in tables oe New Users 8 February 25th 06 12:58 PM
Calculations in Word tables Dave New Users 10 April 3rd 05 12:15 AM