Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
concretegirl concretegirl is offline

Default How do I get rid of white space at top of table when i sort

I created a table with 2 columns. I entered data and extra rows so that when
I want to I can add info. I want the gridlines to show and they do. When I
tried to sort the first column alphabetically, it worked correctly except
that it put all the blank rows at the top of the page instead of the bottom
where I wanted them. Can anyone help me with this- I have had this problem
before. Thanks, Denise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

You could do as follows:
Before you sort the table, click in the first empty row and select Table
Split table (or press Ctrl+Shift+ Spacebar). Now all the empty rows are in a
separate table.
Now click in the topmost table and sort it (Table Sort).
To join the two tables again, delete the empty paragraph that splits the
tables.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg

"concretegirl" wrote:

I created a table with 2 columns. I entered data and extra rows so that when
I want to I can add info. I want the gridlines to show and they do. When I
tried to sort the first column alphabetically, it worked correctly except
that it put all the blank rows at the top of the page instead of the bottom
where I wanted them. Can anyone help me with this- I have had this problem
before. Thanks, Denise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
concretegirl concretegirl is offline

Lene, Thank you so much for answering this. I had already sorted the table so
I split and then copied and pasted. It worked great! One thing tho (I am not
good with word) How do you delete a page? The table and headings are carrying
over. Thanks again. Denise

"concretegirl" wrote:

I created a table with 2 columns. I entered data and extra rows so that when
I want to I can add info. I want the gridlines to show and they do. When I
tried to sort the first column alphabetically, it worked correctly except
that it put all the blank rows at the top of the page instead of the bottom
where I wanted them. Can anyone help me with this- I have had this problem
before. Thanks, Denise

Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
Lene Fredborg Lene Fredborg is offline

Select the content on the page (use the mouse or the keyboard), then press
Delete.

In Word, the content of a document is a continuous stream of text. If you
delete the content from the last page of the document, that page will be
gone. If you delete content on a page in the middle of the document, Word
will reformat the document to fill the space.

--
Regards
Lene Fredborg