Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Darkdrew Darkdrew is offline

Default Document within a document

Greetings. I have a drawn map in Word. Each section of the map is
hyperlinked to a document with the section's inventory. Is there any way
that I can make the hyperlink open within an area of the map? As it is the
hyperlink opens in a new full-sized window each time and it's rather annoying.

Also, should it prove do-able to display a document within a document, would
it be possible to be able to edit the displayed document (e.g. inventory
changes)?

Thanks
Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

The short answer is no. However with a bit of lateral thinking you *may* be
able to achieve some measure of what you want with two documents - 1 blank -
called Blank.doc (right click in the folder that contains your other
document and create a new Word document - called Blank.doc), the other your
included document. Let's call it Doc1.doc.

If you set your map as a background image in Word you could place over it
where you want the document to display (it would have to be a short
document) a frame and in the frame insert an INCLUDETEXT field eg
{INCLUDETEXT "D:\\Path\\Doc1.doc"}

This will display your document within the confines of the frame (which is
why I suggested it would have to be a short document).

You can then toggle between the document with content Doc1 and the empty
document Blank using the following macro

Sub ToggleTextField()
Dim strCodes As String
Dim iFld As Integer
Dim strFind As String
Dim strRepl As String
strFind = "Doc1"
strRepl = "Blank"
strCodes = ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = True
Selection.HomeKey
For iFld = ActiveDocument.Fields.Count To 1 Step -1
With ActiveDocument.Fields(iFld)
If .Type = wdFieldIncludeText Then
If InStr(1, .Code.Text, strFind) Then
.Code.Text = replace(.Code.Text, strFind, strRepl)
Else
.Code.Text = replace(.Code.Text, strRepl, strFind)
End If
.Update
End If
End With
Next iFld
ActiveDocument.ActiveWindow.View.ShowFieldCodes = strCodes
End Sub

Your document here Doc1 can be edited as any other and the changes will be
reflected when you run the macro.

Darkdrew wrote:
Greetings. I have a drawn map in Word. Each section of the map is
hyperlinked to a document with the section's inventory. Is there any
way that I can make the hyperlink open within an area of the map? As
it is the hyperlink opens in a new full-sized window each time and
it's rather annoying.

Also, should it prove do-able to display a document within a
document, would it be possible to be able to edit the displayed
document (e.g. inventory changes)?

Thanks

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Darkdrew Darkdrew is offline

Thank you for your reply. However, I have very little knowledge of frames
and macros. The closest I can get is to convert a text box to a frame, but
am unable to move it. Also, there are 23 documents linked to the map I drew
in Word. But 2 questions come up now:

1) Since the linked documents are inventory lists, if I put them into Excel
instead, would it be possible to display them as a table inside a box and
maybe have it editable?

2) Failing all else, is it possible to change the size of the window that
opens from the hyperlink so that it's not maximized?

Again, thank you for your efforts.