Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Gudobba Mary Gudobba is offline

Default Word 2000 not saving changes

I have one user who claims that Word 2000 sometimes does not save the
changes she made to a document. For example, she will open an old document,
save as - a new name, make changes, save it and when she reopens the
document some of the changes aren't there. It's not always the last change
she made and sometimes it involves substantial changes. It's not always the
same type of document but the document is always being edited, not created.
I can't find any reason for this behavior and we can't reproduce it on
demand. None of the other 70 users in the office have this problem. I tend
to think this is a case of user error but she insists it is not. She
doesn't use Control+S to save. I thought maybe she was hitting Control+Z and
undoing what she just did, but that is not the case. Has anybody ever seen
anything like this? Computer is running Windows XP-SP2, server is Windows
Server 2003.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

It sounds like she may have 'versions' enabled and is actually seeing a
previous version. Check that Versions is off as it is known to be buggy.

--
Terry Farrell - MS Word MVP

"Mary Gudobba" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Gudobba Mary Gudobba is offline

She does not have versions turned on. I can't believe this isn't user
error, but she insists that it isn't.

"Terry Farrell" wrote in message
[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Terry Farrell[_2_] Terry Farrell[_2_] is offline

Mary

Get her to copy the documents to her local hard drive before editing and
after saving and closing, copy it back to the server folder. See if the
problem still exists.

Do you know if Shadow Copy is enabled on the server? I wonder if she is
getting a previous version opened for some reason? If so, it may be a
damaged profile and the easiest (though still time consuming) method is to
delete her profile and create anew one.

Terry

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Mary Gudobba Mary Gudobba is offline

Shadow copy is not enabled on the server. Unfortunately, it doesn't happen
often enough to be able to check by saving to the hard drive. This might
happen once every two weeks or so. I had her start saving the document as
soon as she opened it thinking somehow the document as last saved was what
was printing but that doesn't seem to be the case.