andy

Default Word-Compatible Indexing Software

I need to create an index for a rather lengthy document, and find Word's
built-in indexing function ot be a bit cumbersome to use.....I know that
there are products out there that can do the job more effectively (such as
SKY), but am not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars for something
that I only plan to use this once.......

Does anyone have a suggestion for a lower-cost add-in that I might be able
to use??

Thanks.
Chuck Davis

"andy" wrote in message
I need to create an index for a rather lengthy document, and find Word's
built-in indexing function ot be a bit cumbersome to use.....I know that
there are products out there that can do the job more effectively (such as
SKY), but am not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars for something
that I only plan to use this once.......

Does anyone have a suggestion for a lower-cost add-in that I might be able
to use??

Thanks.

Valid indexing is an art and should not be left to automation. Careful use
of the MS Word will produce a great index.

lostinspace

I need to create an index for a rather lengthy document, and find Word's
built-in indexing function ot be a bit cumbersome to use.....I know that
there are products out there that can do the job more effectively (such as
SKY), but am not in a position to spend hundreds of dollars for something
that I only plan to use this once.......

Does anyone have a suggestion for a lower-cost add-in that I might be able
to use??

Thanks.

Try the Copernic Desktop Search.
It's a great tool and free.
Has saved me consdierable time and allows searching of data over a number of
file formats.

Colin Beaver

I found IndexAssistant (just google it.) It's free, or $10 for a few extra
features. It is an improvment on the very basic and clunky Word index
interface. You can for example, click on an index entry and jump to the page,
and see the index in a puil-down list before choosing where to put it.
--
Colin