Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Julia Julia is offline

Default Lost formatting in nested doc in merge

Hi-
I am using Word 2007 to generate letters from a 3rd party program via the
merge feature.

There is a library of letters the user can choose from in the other
software. Multiple letters can be selected, and put in a queue. The user also
chooses record(s) to run the merge on.

On the Word side, I open a "standard" template which contains fieldcodes for
all of the data fields and run a macro which does the following:
1. Loads the record data fields into memory
2. Nests the letter template(s) into the "standard" template based on a
field code which references which letter(s) should be used.
3. Populates the fields in the letter(s) based on the data loaded in step 1.

Generally, this works fine. However, I now need to generate a letter that
contains a first page in portrait mode, second page landscape; plus a
watermark that does not print on the first page but prints on subsequent
pages. I have created a letter template with these features, and if I do a
manual merge, it runs fine and looks great. However, if I do the merge the
automated way through the macro, I lose the special formatting in my letter-
I suspect because the formatting in my "standard" template is overwriting it.

I know this is really complicated. :-( Anyone have any ideas how to preserve
the formatting in a nested document in a merge?

TIA-
Julia

Mail merge nested if phil Mailmerge 2 November 21st 07 02:14 PM
Mail merge with nested forms KP Mailmerge 3 April 21st 07 11:05 AM
Formatting - Tables Nested In Fields msnews.microsoft.com Mailmerge 2 June 27th 06 09:25 AM
Nested mail merge Lennert Acke Mailmerge 3 August 22nd 05 08:23 AM
Image won't retain formatting in nested INCLUDEPICTURE field 2dogs Mailmerge 1 May 11th 05 11:56 AM