Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
EPA EPA is offline

Default STYLREF switch \l

Using Word 2003 on Windows XP (office) and Word 2000 on Windows ME (home).
Instead of displaying the last use of the style on the CURRENT page, this
always displays the first use of the style on the NEXT page. Help for Word
2003 distinguishes between electronic and printed documents ( WHY??? )
although help for Word 2000 does not, but for both versions neither the
electronic nor the printed document is correct. How do I get it to work
correctly?
--
Ted

----------------
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout
Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

My experience is that it will only grab the style from the following page
when that style does not exist on the current page or any preceding page.
It does then however grab the first occurence of the style on the following
page

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"EPA" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 on Windows XP (office) and Word 2000 on Windows ME (home).
Instead of displaying the last use of the style on the CURRENT page, this
always displays the first use of the style on the NEXT page. Help for
Word
2003 distinguishes between electronic and printed documents ( WHY??? )
although help for Word 2000 does not, but for both versions neither the
electronic nor the printed document is correct. How do I get it to work
correctly?
--
Ted

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
EPA EPA is offline

Thanks, Doug but there must be more to it than that. I'm using STYLEREF
twice in the pager header, once without \l to get the first reference, and
once with \l to get the last reference. The first usage works perfectly,
showing that the required style does exist on the page.
The pages in question are all separated by page breaks - could there be an
interaction here?
--
Ted

"EPA" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 on Windows XP (office) and Word 2000 on Windows ME (home).
Instead of displaying the last use of the style on the CURRENT page, this
always displays the first use of the style on the NEXT page. Help for
Word
2003 distinguishes between electronic and printed documents ( WHY??? )
although help for Word 2000 does not, but for both versions neither the
electronic nor the printed document is correct. How do I get it to work
correctly?
--
Ted

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
EPA EPA is offline

Yes! Removing the page breaks makes STYLEREF do exactly what I want. Thanks
for listening, Doug.
--
Ted

"EPA" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 on Windows XP (office) and Word 2000 on Windows ME (home).
Instead of displaying the last use of the style on the CURRENT page, this
always displays the first use of the style on the NEXT page. Help for
Word
2003 distinguishes between electronic and printed documents ( WHY??? )
although help for Word 2000 does not, but for both versions neither the
electronic nor the printed document is correct. How do I get it to work
correctly?
--
Ted

----------------
this
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

The page breaks could definitely interfere with the STYLEREF field,
because the break is (or may be) considered part of the following
paragraph. If you use "Page break before" formatting (Format |
Paragraph, Line and Page Breaks tab) instead, does that make a
difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

news

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

My experience is that it will only grab the style from the following

page
when that style does not exist on the current page or any preceding

page.
It does then however grab the first occurence of the style on the

following
page

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself of

my

"EPA" wrote in message
Using Word 2003 on Windows XP (office) and Word 2000 on Windows ME

(home).
Instead of displaying the last use of the style on the CURRENT

page, this
always displays the first use of the style on the NEXT page. Help

for
Word
2003 distinguishes between electronic and printed documents (

WHY??? )
although help for Word 2000 does not, but for both versions

neither the
electronic nor the printed document is correct. How do I get it

to work
correctly?
--
Ted

----------------
This post is a suggestion for Microsoft, and Microsoft responds to

the
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion,

click the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader

and then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...ord.pagelayout

Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
EPA EPA is offline

Yes, Stefan, replacing the page breaks by formatting with Page Break Before
works just fine.
--
Ted

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

The page breaks could definitely interfere with the STYLEREF field,
because the break is (or may be) considered part of the following
paragraph. If you use "Page break before" formatting (Format |
Paragraph, Line and Page Breaks tab) instead, does that make a
difference?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP