kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com

Default Dynamic header content?

Working within a confined document structure (gov style), I'd like to have
section headers, formatted as "A. General Comments...B. Specific
Comments...etc," be reflected in the header throughout the document. I'm
limited, it seems, by dates and other static information. Any suggestions?

thanks-
Charles Kenyon

Insert Field StyleRef
Look up the StyleRef field in help.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com" wrote in message
Working within a confined document structure (gov style), I'd like to have
section headers, formatted as "A. General Comments...B. Specific
Comments...etc," be reflected in the header throughout the document. I'm
limited, it seems, by dates and other static information. Any
suggestions?

thanks-

Jay Freedman

kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Working within a confined document structure (gov style), I'd like to
have section headers, formatted as "A. General Comments...B. Specific
Comments...etc," be reflected in the header throughout the document.
I'm limited, it seems, by dates and other static information. Any
suggestions?

thanks-

Assuming these headings are all formatted with the same style, and that
style isn't used for anything else, then you can insert a STYLEREF field in
the header to repeat the text of the headings.

See "Beyond Numbering" in
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/formatting...rontMatter.htm for
instructions.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Stefan Blom

If you are using styles consistently, you can make use of the STYLEREF
field. Read more about it in Word Help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com" wrote in
message ...
Working within a confined document structure (gov style), I'd like

to have
section headers, formatted as "A. General Comments...B. Specific
Comments...etc," be reflected in the header throughout the document.

I'm
limited, it seems, by dates and other static information. Any

suggestions?

thanks-

kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com

Ah, I see. I've been tinkering and may be able to get what I want.

Thanks all.

p.s. Is there a good publication that describes lesser known functions
(like the use of fields and style references) other than the ones MS puts
out or is that pretty much the bible?

Jay Freedman

kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com wrote:
Ah, I see. I've been tinkering and may be able to get what I want.

Thanks all.

p.s. Is there a good publication that describes lesser known functions
(like the use of fields and style references) other than the ones MS
puts out or is that pretty much the bible?

The online Help file is OK at explaining stuff, but the index is pretty
bad -- a lot of the time you have to know what you're looking for, or
exactly what Word calls it, before you can find it.

The books from QUE Publishing, such as "Using Microsoft Office", are pretty
good. Like any printed book, they have their limitations -- if the specific
thing you want to know isn't in the book, there's no way to ask for more
info.

There's a ton of stuff at http://word.mvps.org/FAQs, including tips and
hints that are hard to find elsewhere. It's a bit of a disorganized jumble,
though, because the articles are all written at different times and with
different levels of explanation. There are links to the websites of
individual MVPs and others at http://word.mvps.org/UsefulLinks/index.htm.

Probably the best method is to use the Advanced Search at Google Groups
(http://groups-beta.google.com/advanced_search), using
"microsoft.public.word.*" in the Group box, to search for words or phrases
in these newsgroups. Often you'll find one or more threads that describe the
solution. If you don't find what you're looking for, ask here!

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

kevin komatz via OfficeKB.com

Follow-up question to this (or should begin a new thread?):

Successfully added the section headers in the header area. However, though
the sections are in a "A. Comments" format, they are appear as "A.
Comments" in the header. Why is transferring it this way and can I format
either the Header area or the Styleref so that it appear as it does in the
document text (or even remove the leading A).

Thanks again-