Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bjeller

Default Read only files

Why whenever I save a word doc on a CD it never ever can be edited when you
open it from the CD? When I created the doc I didn't specify it to be a read
only file. I want others to be able to edit it off the CD.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

This is not possible. Copy to the hard drive and remove the read-only flag
to edit the document.

bjeller wrote:
Why whenever I save a word doc on a CD it never ever can be edited
when you open it from the CD? When I created the doc I didn't specify
it to be a read only file. I want others to be able to edit it off
the CD.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jezebel

Normal CDs are always read-only: any file, once written, is immutable.

Some Windows set-ups make it possible to edit a document directly on a
read-write CD; but this corrupts the document and often the entire CD as
well.

"bjeller" wrote in message
Why whenever I save a word doc on a CD it never ever can be edited when
you
open it from the CD? When I created the doc I didn't specify it to be a
read
only file. I want others to be able to edit it off the CD.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
bjeller

In my orginial notes I forgot I am using a CD-RW to copy my word docs. I do
have the hard drive copy I did look at the attributes it is a read-only
flagged docment. Where do you remove the read only flag from a file copies
off a CD-RW?

bjeller wrote:
Why whenever I save a word doc on a CD it never ever can be edited
when you open it from the CD? When I created the doc I didn't specify
it to be a read only file. I want others to be able to edit it off
the CD.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Graham Mayor

In Windows Explorer, right click the file (on the hard drive) and select
properties. Uncheck the read only flag.