Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Cees Mulder Cees Mulder is offline

Default Field codes: index field

I am about to index a book which consists of Part A, Part B, etc. whereas
every Part comprises several chapters. The page numbers visible on each page
only includes the chapter of a part - the Part reference is also in the
header.
Hence in the index I made, I get the keywords etc. that I have referenced
including the chapter number, like II-2 (meaning chapter II, page 2). I would
like to have the Part number included in the reference, like A-II-2
indicating page 2 of chapter 2 of Part A. Can I add in the field codes
something that looks for the Part of the book...?
Of course the Part is in a heading.
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

For chapter/page numbering to work, you must use Word's built-in heading
styles (the ones called Heading 1, Heading 2, etc. in English language
versions). In this case, set up Heading 1 to be numbered Part A, Part B,
...., and set up Heading 2 to be numbered I, II, III, ... Then be sure to
include Heading 2 with page numbers. You'll also need section breaks (if you
want to restart page numbers based on your chapters). For detailed
instructions on how to do this, see
http://word.mvps.org/faqs/numbering/chapternumber.htm.

--
Stefan Blom