Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Vincent Steve Vincent is offline

Default Word 2007 SLOW on Vista

Hi,

I recently bought a new Dell Inspiron laptop from Best Buy, and also bought
MS Office Home/Student edition. The laptop is running Vista. Excel is
extremely slow and freezes ("not responding") with just about every editing
move I make. Same with Word. I saved-as to the 97-2003 format, and at first
it seemed to work fast, but then it started freezing again. It can take up
to 3 or 4 minutes just to change the font size in a cell. There isn't much
in the workbook (or document), just a simple table intended as a sign-up
sheet, with around 30 rows and two columns.

Things I have tried: I have opened the workbook and document with the
"repair" option. No change. I ran the installation disk again and ran the
Repair utility. Again, no change.

Does anyone have any suggestions of what to do to try and remedy this? Best
Buy included a free upgrade to Windows 7 when it comes out. Any opinions on
whether this is a Vista issue?

TIA,
Steve
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Steve Vincent Steve Vincent is offline

Update: I just changed my default printer from a network printer downstairs
on our home wireless network, to CutePDF. This has "solved" the problem,
except for the fact that I would like my HP network printer to be the default
printer. This was never a problem on our previous laptops, only since
getting this Dell Inspiron with Vista and Office Home/Student 2007.

Why would having a network printer set as the default printer cause Office
2007 to run so extremely slow? Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly
appreciated.

TIA,
Steve

"Steve Vincent" wrote:

[...]

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Install the driver for the network printer locally, on your computer. That
should help.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP