Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Humphrey Bumpkin Humphrey Bumpkin is offline

Default Truncated large text fields

This is a similar question to the one posted by Macy in 2005 except that only
one field is being truncated.

I have a database which I am not able to access directly for the purposes of
running queries, reports etc but I am able to export data from it in Excel
format. Among the fields exported are two text fields one of which is 2000
characters in size and the other 3000 characters.

The data arrives in Excel in perfect condition and all the contents of these
two fields ( as well as all the others ) exactly match the source data. I
then run some VBA in the Excel file which puts all the data into the correct
record layout so that the file can be used as a source for a Word 2003
mailmerge.

Everything works perfectly except for the fact that the 3000 character field
contents which always appear correct in Excel, no matter how many character
are actually in each record, are always truncated to 255 characters in the
merged Word document.

The only difference between the two fields in question is that of their size
in the source database table. In all other respects the source format is the
same, the target cell format in Excel is the same. I have altered the export
field order but the 3000 character field is always truncated once I try to
mailmerge.
I would suspect the source database if the exported contents were corrupted
in the Excel file but the data is always correct in Excel.
Is there some control, rule, data limit in Word that prevents two large
fields from being handled. I have searched and cannot find any clues as to
what may be affecting the data.
Does anyone have any ideas €“ I would be very grateful for help. This is
driving me to distraction.

Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

I suggest you have a look at http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk/t0003.htm which
provides some background to this.

From the info. I have so far, I would have to guess that the first 8 rows in
your "memo" column actually have values that are 255 characters long or
shorter. However, there may well be additional twists I haven't yet worked
out - if so, please let me know.

I /think/ you can use the DDE option in this case, but can't work it out
right now.

Peter Jamieson
"Humphrey Bumpkin" Humphrey wrote in
message ...
[...]

Truncated Database fields Magienoire Tables 5 November 7th 06 02:08 PM
Truncated merge fields Pete Mailmerge 5 March 3rd 06 10:44 PM
Truncated fields in Excel-Word merge Jo Mailmerge 3 December 31st 05 04:52 AM
truncated merge fields tferro Mailmerge 1 November 2nd 05 05:36 AM
excel/word merge: why are some data fields partially truncated? brooke Mailmerge 1 April 2nd 05 01:38 PM