Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
JohnTheTemp

Default Spacing between paragraphs

i thought i knew alot about word but this ones driving me batty -

word 2003 / windows 2000

some of our word documents have extra spacing between paragraphs and within
the paragraph

i checked all the usual suspects and they seem okay
- the paragraphing is set to 0 before and 0 after
- line spacing is single
- the font is set to "Lucinda Sans Unicode" - regular - 10 points
- nothing else in the fonts window is set
- nothing is set in the character spacing and text effects dialogs
- in page setup the vertical alignment is set to "top"
- "Normal" style is is single space but there are some odd traits (eg,
"Don't adjust space between Latin and Asian text."

i ran several tests but the only one which struck me was when i copied a
paragraph marker to a blank document which had the normal spacing between
paragraphs - the copied paragraph had the greater spacing - it seems to be
about the same as setting the paragraph formatting to '3 pt Before'

when i start with a new document with the default font and change one
character to Lucinda - that paragraph gets the extra space before - however -
i have several documents with Lucinda Sans Unicode and they don't have that
extra space

any thoughts?

thanks for helping

--
JohnTheTemp
Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Jay Freedman

I think the "Don't adjust space between Latin and Asian text" is the
clue. It indicates that you have an Asian language enabled, and that
brings with it all sorts of settings that you wouldn't normally see.

Go to Start Programs MS Office MS Office Tools MS Office 2003
Language Tools and disable any Asian languages. See if that fixes the
spacing.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman