meadows

Default page size 8.5x36

I want to set up a custom page size in Word for an 8.5" x 36" document. Word
2002 will only let me go up to 22" length. How do I get it to let me go to
36"? My goal is to create the document in Word and then make a pdf using
Acrobat. I'm using MS Word 2002 on Windows XP Home.

Thanks
- Barry
RealCav

I have the exact same problem. I'm also using Word 2002 on XP. Unfortunately
the answer for MS Word is that it can't do it. I even downloaded a device
driver for a plotter so that I could fool it into generating Postscript.

However, according to Graham Mayor in the post just below this, ain't no way
no how. We need a publishing program.

"meadows" wrote:

I want to set up a custom page size in Word for an 8.5" x 36" document. Word
2002 will only let me go up to 22" length. How do I get it to let me go to
36"? My goal is to create the document in Word and then make a pdf using
Acrobat. I'm using MS Word 2002 on Windows XP Home.

Thanks
- Barry

meadows

I've read something about using Windows Forms to fool Word into using a
larger size, but I was hoping someone had tried it before I give it a go.
The printer driver I plan on using is Adobe PDF that shows up once Acrobat is
installed. Acrobat can handle 200x200. Unfortunately, I need to create the
document with Word because it's all I have.

- Barry

"meadows" wrote:

I want to set up a custom page size in Word for an 8.5" x 36" document. Word
2002 will only let me go up to 22" length. How do I get it to let me go to
36"? My goal is to create the document in Word and then make a pdf using
Acrobat. I'm using MS Word 2002 on Windows XP Home.

Thanks
- Barry

Jay Freedman

Of course, limitations like this just point out how much the core code of
Word is in need of an overhaul. Probably some of this stuff hasn't been
touched in a dozen years.

The technical reason for the limitation is that Word positions everything on
the page in terms of "twips" (1 twip = 1/20 point = 1/1440 inch) from the
top left corner. Then 22 inches = 31680 twips. This number was chosen
because it fits in a signed integer variable, which is 15 bits of a 16-bit
value (maximum value 32768; the 16th bit is used for the sign).

This is unfortunate, since the "natural" size of integers in Windows on
Intel and AMD processors has been 32 bits for quite a while and is now
heading into 64-bit territory. The processor actually has to do extra work
to translate between these variable sizes.

However, I can understand Microsoft's reluctance to rewrite the core code.
The downside is the likelihood of introducing new bugs, and the upside is
very limited -- how many more copies of Office would sell because you could
print bigger pages? The business case for it just isn't there.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman