Zerotwist

Default Page number changing between same version different computer!?

I'm having an odd issue where I am trying to create a one page document
using Word 2003 SP1. At work I have created the document and have it at one
page(by changing the border sizes) but when I send it to my home to open it
up in Word 2003 SP1 it comes out being two pages, and it is off by a lot(5+
lines). It seems that all of the border settings have come over with the
document, so I can't figure out exactly what has changed. Is there some
setting in a document that doesn't carry over to the saved file?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

Jay Freedman

Hi Dave,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

Zerotwist wrote:
I'm having an odd issue where I am trying to create a one page
document using Word 2003 SP1. At work I have created the document
and have it at one page(by changing the border sizes) but when I send
it to my home to open it up in Word 2003 SP1 it comes out being two
pages, and it is off by a lot(5+ lines). It seems that all of the
border settings have come over with the document, so I can't figure
out exactly what has changed. Is there some setting in a document
that doesn't carry over to the saved file?

Thanks in advance,
Dave

skoiboy - giganews

Thanks for the quick reply. The document makes sense, but I installed the
printer drivers from my office and made the printer the default but the
formatting hasn't changed. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,
Dave

"Jay Freedman" wrote in news:eL5S2LM9EHA.2180
@TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

Hi Dave,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

Jay Freedman

Hi Dave,

No, as far as I'm aware that's usually the only factor.

Comparing the two versions of the document, is there a difference in
hyphenation? If the work version hyphenates but the home one doesn't, that
could change the line breaks.

If that isn't it, you could try fudging the character spacing in the lines
that break wrong (select text, Format Font Character Spacing, set
spacing to Condensed by 0.5 pt or so) to bring them back to the right
length. Other suggestions are at
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/FitCopy.htm.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

skoiboy - giganews wrote:
Thanks for the quick reply. The document makes sense, but I
installed the printer drivers from my office and made the printer the
default but the formatting hasn't changed. Am I missing something?

Thanks again,
Dave

"Jay Freedman" wrote in
news:eL5S2LM9EHA.2180 @TK2MSFTNGP12.phx.gbl:

Hi Dave,

See http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/Formatting/TextReflow.htm.

Keep in mind also that having the same printer selected doesn't guarantee
that you're using the same driver. If the two computers have different
operating systems, you can be pretty sure that the drivers will be
different. Recent versions of Word by default don't use printer metrics to
lay out documents (Tools | Options | Compatibility) so they are less
printer-dependent, but there can still be some variation; this is
exacerbated by manual page breaks.