Melissa

Default Formatting changed to Char Char Char Char...

I developed my document mainly using Styles. However, just today, I cut and
pasted some text from another document and reformatted them using styles.
Then, I realised that my whole document is "using" the style "Char Char Char
etc." which came out of nowhere. My styles still exist, meaning I can select
text and reapply my styles. But after doing so, the style name still shows
as "Char Char...". Visually, my document still looks ok but it's annoying
that I can't remove this "Char Char Char..." style!

BTW, I reopened my document in Safe mode and the problem is still there.
Stefan Blom

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;902064 and
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl .

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
I developed my document mainly using Styles. However, just today, I

cut and
pasted some text from another document and reformatted them using

styles.
Then, I realised that my whole document is "using" the style "Char

Char Char
etc." which came out of nowhere. My styles still exist, meaning I

can select
text and reapply my styles. But after doing so, the style name

still shows
as "Char Char...". Visually, my document still looks ok but it's

annoying
that I can't remove this "Char Char Char..." style!

BTW, I reopened my document in Safe mode and the problem is still

there.

Melissa

That was very useful, Stefan. I will definitely use it the next time I
encounter that problem.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can use your solution for my problem coz my
ENTIRE document is in this "Char Char Char..." style, i.e. Heading 1,2,3,4,
Normal, Caption, etc. ALL show this style. If I were to use your macro,
would it mean that the whole document will be in one style, e.g. Heading 2,
only?

I am using Office 2003.

"Melissa" wrote in message
I developed my document mainly using Styles. However, just today, I

cut and
pasted some text from another document and reformatted them using

styles.
Then, I realised that my whole document is "using" the style "Char

Char Char
etc." which came out of nowhere. My styles still exist, meaning I

can select
text and reapply my styles. But after doing so, the style name

still shows
as "Char Char...". Visually, my document still looks ok but it's

annoying
that I can't remove this "Char Char Char..." style!

BTW, I reopened my document in Safe mode and the problem is still

there.

Stefan Blom

I can't take credit for creating the macro; MVP Cindy Meister did.
Anyway, as far as I can tell, the macro fixes the problem for the
Heading 2 style, only. It would have to be modified for the other
styles. See the following thread (the reply by MVP Klaus Linke):
http://groups.google.com/group/micro...f49b2f7b5119a9

Note that you should test the macro on a copy of the document first!

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Stefan Blom" wrote:

See http://support.microsoft.com/default...b;en-us;902064

and
http://homepage.swissonline.ch/cindy...p.htm#CharStyl

..

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
[...]

Melissa

I actually saw that thread before posting mine coz that thread did not solve
my problem.
The threads I've come across refer to styles with "Style + Char" e.g.
"Heading 2 Char", "Heading 1 Char", etc.

The rogue style in my document does not look like that, it's just "Char"
*12.

Any more ideas?

"Melissa" wrote in message
[...]

Stefan Blom

This is something that I've never heard about before. What type
of style is this "Char Char..." thing? Is it a character style? If so,
have you tried to select the paragraphs where it is applied and then
to press Ctrl+SpaceBar (which should remove it from text)?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Melissa" wrote in message
That was very useful, Stefan. I will definitely use it the next

time I
encounter that problem.
Unfortunately, I don't think I can use your solution for my

problem
coz my
ENTIRE document is in this "Char Char Char..." style, i.e.

Heading
1,2,3,4,
Normal, Caption, etc. ALL show this style. If I were to use

your
macro,
would it mean that the whole document will be in one style, e.g.

Heading 2,
only?

I am using Office 2003.

See

"Melissa" wrote in message
[...]

Bob Buckland ?:-\)

Hi Melissa,

Could you email me a copy of a document you're seeing this in?
Was the present document or the one you pasted from created in Word 2002?

========
"Melissa" wrote in message ...
I just did what you suggested but no difference...
I'm really stumped by this.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Melissa

Will be more than happy to send a sample to you. What e-mail address should
I use? (Couldn't find it in your profile)
My current document was created in 2003. I don't know about the other
document I copied the text from. How can I check?

"Melissa" wrote in message ...
I just did what you suggested but no difference...
I'm really stumped by this.
--
Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office Products MVP

For Everyday MS Office tips to "use right away" -
http://microsoft.com/events/series/a...andtricks.mspx

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mijcar

Melissa Wrote:
I developed my document mainly using Styles. However, just today, I cut
and
pasted some text from another document and reformatted them using
styles.
Then, I realised that my whole document is "using" the style "Char Char
Char
etc." which came out of nowhere. My styles still exist, meaning I can
select
text and reapply my styles. But after doing so, the style name still
shows
as "Char Char...". Visually, my document still looks ok but it's
annoying
that I can't remove this "Char Char Char..." style!

BTW, I reopened my document in Safe mode and the problem is still
there.

===================================
I followed this thread to its end and found no solution offered.

Here is what worked for me today when I encountered the exact same
problem while using Office 2003

1st: I made sure my cursor was in a section that appeared as "char
char char char" in my styles window.
2nd: I opened the style pane by clicking on the icon to the right of
the style list.
3rd: I found the "char char char char" style in the style pane list,
selected all, right-clicked and chose "delete", then confirmed the
deletion when prompted.
4th: I went to the front of the document (ctrl-home).
5th: I selected all (ctrl-A).
6th: I went to the style dropdown window (which was probably blank at
this point) and selected "normal".

This has cleared the problem completely in a number of different tries
on different machines.

If I stopped after the 3rd step, saved the document and reopened it,
then the "char char char char" style would be back in place.

By the way, I don't know if this is important or not, but I made
certain I only had one document open in word at a time.

--mij

--
mijcar
Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mijcar

Yes, I have visited the MS site. Unfortunately, they offer no real
solution: Their "hotfix" prevents the user from creating such a
document from scratch. It does not provide a remedy for documents
already "infected"; nor does it prevent a new document from becoming
infected by cut&pasting from an already infected document. Since the
main way this infection is perpetuated is by being sent a contaminated
document, MS's hotfix is virtually useless.

I have a particular fondness for Microsoft's assertion (see below) that
the only fix for a contaminated document is to re-enter the entire
document (pity the poor author re-entering a 20,000 word novel!) and
their boldly titled "WORKAROUND" followed by the lower case "there is
no workaround" (see below).

And why do I insist in calling this an "infection" when MS says it does
not damage? Because, it is an infection. It is an invader from outside
that modifies the software in an unwanted way (even if the modification
is only cosmetic) and cannot be removed by the normal functioning of
the software. If it looks like a virus and acts like a virus ...

Here is another workaround that has worked fine for me:
1. Save the document.
2. Open it in another word processor such as WordPerfect.
3. Save the document in that processor's native format (such as WPD).
4. Open this new document in Word. It should now be cleaned up.

--mij
*Here is what MS had to say*:
• This hotfix does not fix an existing document that exhibits these
symptoms.
• This hotfix fixes these symptoms only in new documents after you
apply this hotfix.
• This hotfix does not fix these symptoms if you paste text from an
existing document that exhibits these symptoms to a new document after
you apply this hotfix.
• Word 2003 users may see the same behavior if they open a document
that was created in Word 2002 before the hotfix was applied. These
symptoms occur with a newly created document in Word 2003 only if the
following condition is true:
• The newly created document in Word 2003 contains edits that were
imported from a Word 2002 document that exhibited these symptoms before
the hotfix was applied.

WORKAROUND
Currently, there is no workaround for existing documents that already
have this issue. The hotfixes and service pack releases prevent the
issue from occurring in new documents.

You may be able to create a macro solution to remove the unwanted
styles. However, the macro would have to be customized for each unique
situation. You cannot create a global macro solution because "Char"
could also be spelled as "Car" or as other words in other languages.

Any solution to fix the issue in existing documents requires that the
source document be re-created from scratch to make sure that the
formatting is not carried over to the destination document."

--
mijcar
Posted from - http://www.officehelp.in

Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
mijcar

Here is another workaround that has worked fine for me:
1. Save the document.
2. Open it in another word processor such as WordPerfect.
3. Save the document in that processor's native format (such as WPD).
4. Open this new document in Word. It should now be cleaned up.
================================
Taxes done, I've now had the chance to play around with this. With
both the solutions I mentioned, we lose hyperlinks. A slight
modification of my second solution however preserved everything that
was important:
1. Save the document.
2. Open it in another word processor such as WordPerfect.
3. Save the document -converting it back to Word format-.
4. Open this new document in Word. It should now be cleaned up.

I used WordPerfect 10 for this task, but see no reason the workaround
shouldn't work equally well with other versions or other processors.

--mij